Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of spending $15 on a 2oz bag of medium sinking pellets every month. I want to start buying my food in bulk since it seems like I run out faster every time. I found some 10LB bulk floating pellets on ebay, but cant find anything similar that sinks. They have tons of small sinking pellets, but my big fish just look at those like 'seriously'? They'll eat them, but if I had to guess they prefer the larger pellets. 3/16 is about the size I am looking for.

On a side note, why is fish food so expensive? I realize companies gotta make revenue, but dang! Anybody ever make their own food?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a link? I've been looking all over ebay and I can only find 5 lb in 1mm pellets. Too small.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I feed 3mm NLS sinking pellets. They sink pretty much immediately, which is what I need to prevent them from getting into the overflows of my 240G. I usually stock up at events like the OCA Extravaganza, and pay around $45 for a 5 pound bucket.

·
2,088 Posts
2nd for KensFish.com

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Looks like Ken has the hookup on food. Muchos gracias amigos!

I'm thinking about trying the HB Super Cichlid Sinkers. Anyone know if they are too big? The African Attack Pellet also looks interesting, but maybe too small for my fish. Most of them anyways.

Those that use Kens, what food do YOU buy? And what do you feed it to?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, but I need sinking b/c of my overflow. Plus it helps get food to some of my more timid fish. I'm already sold on Kens, just need to figure out which specific product is right for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
African attack is probably too small-it's a cheap food but my fish love it. Don't know about the super pellets, bu if your fish are big then I'd get them. Just keep in mind that they aren't the best quality.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered the KENS PREMIUM SUPER COLOR PELLET 3.0 MM. I will report back to how they are after I have used them for a bit.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Check out Jehmco.com they will have everything you need at great prices.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Aquaculture foods are very inexpensive compare to foods marketed to the hobby. They will work very well for a fraction of the cost. Another option is pond food geared for Koi. Some of them, like the one I feed my cichlids (a spring and fall Koi food) are very high quality with the right mix of components for cichlids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts