Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am building a house and starting to plan my tank. More excited about a new tank than the house. After renting and not being able to have fish for too many years, I'm excited for this.

So here's what I want:

1. Good Looking Fish
2. Able to feed some of them guppies

I really like the Ngara Flame tail and would like that to be the principle fish. Will these eat guppies?

If not, what other cichlids will but are stil compatible with the Ngara? I'm thinking some Frontosas might be good as well.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for helping me to plan this out!

(also am glad to join the forum!)

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
You want a piscivore to be the ideal fit for guppy feeding. Aulonocara want to eat small organisms in the substrate.

Frontosa's ideal tank is 72" with calm tankmates...a species tank is perfect. Calvus can be a tankmate to frontosa. Calvus is a piscivore, but only eats tiny newborn fry. As soon as they mature a few days the calvus is not interested.

Frontosa would eat the aulonocara.

G

·
you might wanna try an oscar or other ca or sa cichlid alot of those eat goldfish... you gota worry about gettin parasite (ich) alot with feeding goldfish thou cuz if the goldfish have it then the cichlids get it from eating them....and only problem with feeding fish goldfish is once they get used to it they wont ever accept regular pellets or flake food.. you are better off just feeding pellets and go with Ngara flametails imo... they are a gorgeous fish

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'll be doing a guppie tank as well -- so I'll have both tanks healthy before I start transferring between them.

I just like watching them hunt, plus I do want some that actually will get a health benefit from it-- I can do other live-bearers if there are some that are more healthy.

My problem is, I don't really like the Oscars, want something a bit more colorful.

G

·
yea i was jus thinking... nimbochromis venustus and nimbochromis livingstoni and the other one nimbochromis that starts with and F and is real colorful

·
Registered
623 Posts
Venustus would be great in a large tank and would eat up guppies. Plus their widely available but rare compared to oscars. A dominant male would be a show fish in my opinion. Great looking fish. Just make sure the fish you don't want eaten are atleast 4 to 5 inches so can't be swallowed easily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
DJRansome is right but thats mostly in a wild setting.you can have ngaras eat very small fry.i feed my peacocks and haps the fry from my mbunas tank.i don t suggest making guppies a major part of there diet but once and a while would be ok.s freryi would be a nice contrast to the ngaras.imho

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love Venustus they are very good looking fish as well as a predator. I had some Venustus in my 6ft. 125 gal tank with some assorted mubuna and Victorians with no issues. Will Obliquiden Zebras eat guppies?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.