Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a lone GT in my 125 with four clown loaches and four silver dollars. It is one of my all time favorite setups. It is still young and only about 6in but the SD are getting larger and the loaches are growing at a pretty good clip (for loaches) and avery active. I have been toying with the idea of adding a smaller trio or a single larger sized cat but as it sits I am very happy and don't feel like it's too empty while I'm looking at it. I also had a GT die once from trying to eat a 5in Raph. cat. when it was about 9in and I am now overly cautious about anything that will fit in it's mouth so I probably wont add anything.

Without other cichlids to draw its attention it has become more of an owner responsive fish and is now full of personality. It begs me for food, watches my wife intensely when she is moving around our room or sleeping (her head is right next to the corner of the tank at night), and tries to viciously attack my daughter when ever she is in the room. Good times.

A 75g would work but i would keep it alone. Now that my SD's are 4+ inches I can't see keeping them in a 4ft tank. They still dart into the ends of the tank when spooked in the 6 footer. Go with a 125g if you have the means,you wont regret it, you will have so many more options.

After years of packing tanks I found I really enjoy having more sparsely stocked single cichlid species tanks.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would say male as well. Females tend to be a bit more drab from what I have seen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.