Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 'Aequidens' sp. "Goldsaum" that I just love that's going to need a larger tank. My choices are to rehome or get a tank for her that she can enjoy long term. I'm thinking a 75 or a 125. So, my question is if you were going to do this, what's the minimum tank size and what are some possible tank mates, if any.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Are you sure it's a her or just using the pronoun?

A 125 would be great for a pair long term if you want to breed them. It's also great if you want to build a community of SA cichlids around a single Green Terror. I usually prefer pairs personally though, it's that pairing behavior that draws me to cichlids.

A 75 would work for a young pair though if you just want to breed them and move them on, or a single large male. If female, one or two tank mates could work too.

If you are up on the scientific part of the hobby, your fish has a new genus: Andinoacara. The species is still in question though.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it's a her or just using the pronoun?
Thanks for the reply. Not positive at all that it's a 'she', just going by what looks like a breeding tube. I tried to find info on sexing them, but saw that it's not easy to do. What's a reliable way to tell?

Not interested in breeding them. If I could keep him/her in a 75, what tankmates would you suggest?

If you are up on the scientific part of the hobby, your fish has a new genus: Andinoacara. The species is still in question though.
Not up on the new world side of things. Just going by the profiles here at CF.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you want strictly cichlids? or a mix of fish?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cichlids would be my first choice, of course. About the only thing I've come up with so far is a group of silver dollars. I'd prefer compatible cichlids. Or at least ones with some odds of success. I have lots of tanks and can rehome easily if need be. I'm really just looking to keep the gold saum as a wet pet since he/she has so much personality. Just wanted to find some tankmates. Maybe non-cichlid is the best option, and I'd be open to any suggestions along those lines also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ha I could write pages and pages about possiblities for your stocking :p I was thinking of doing a Green Terror in my 125 a few weeks ago, and I spent over 2 hours a day, every day, coming up with possiblities! haha.

It seems like you like fish with personality, correct? Well, I guess you could do another large cichlid in there, with some Silver Dollars like you mentioned. Then maybe a smaller Pleco? If that works out, then it makes a very beautiful looking tank. If the fish work out together, AWESSOME! If not, then like you said, you always have other homes for them.

For a non-cichlid stocking plan, revolving around your GT, you are limited. To get a cool effect, I would find schooling fish for the top, bottom, and middle. With SDs, you have the middle covered. For the bottom, I would do some synodontisis. For the top, you don't have much, and your GT would probably take up most of it anyways :p

Here's what I would do and see if it worked witha GT:
-1 GT
-1 Oscar
-School of SDs
-1 Smaller Pleco

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, scarhbar. You're the one I need to talk to, I guess. Are there any cichlids besides an oscar that would work? But, I'm leaning toward a 75, so thinking the SD's and a pleco would about do it. How would a pair of convicts fare with a GT in a 75? And yes, looking for cichlids with personality. Nothing that just sits or hides all the time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ya? hmmm, well, in a 75 gallon, I would say that those 2 Convicts would be possible! Since Convicts are actually kinda tough for their size, they can hold their own in a tank like that. It's the bioload that is making me iffy. How many SDs? and What type of Pleco?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking to forego the SD's if I can do convicts. I'd have to research the pleco idea, as I don't want the big ones, and not sure if the bushy nose would be ok. Suggestion for one?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think that the convicts would work, but by adding another cichlid regardless of size, you are adding aggression. So maybe 3 isn't the best option? Not sure! Like you said, you have extra tanks if they need to be relocated :p

I think what a lot of people miss, is the beauty of keeping just one large cichlid in the tank, with some other non cichlid tank mates (acceptable ones of course). Its frustrating waiting for that little pale, new, and slow fish to get big and colorful, so people add more cichlids to get some interaction or they want more beauty. In the future, you'll wind up with the fish always fighting, torn up fins, hiding in the corner. I'm certainly not saying that os what you are doing, but that's what I see a lot.
Sometimes the it is better to have a 1 cichlid tank. You will definitely get a lot more interaction that way. Let's say you got the GT and it is just sitting their all shy and pail. Just wait a week, it'll come out more, but still probably be kinda shy. Wait like that for a month, until the fish is a little less scared of you. Then get a school of silver dollars. The GT will feel like it has competition for food, and will start definitely come out more. Plus the look of a school of silver disk looking fish, sweimming next to a green and blue fish, with gold fins, just looks awesome. Then if you feel the need to, get a pleco :) maybe bristlenose, but from what I've experienced, they are a little more fragile. I may just go with a trio of pictus cats for the bottom :) that would look cool!

Just keep that in consideration! If you go with the convicts, you will see more of the fish's aggressive behaviours, but they will be so worried that it will get attacked that it wouldn't interact with you as much :/

Good luck!

Just on a completely random note, I just got some fish today! And I am seeing how eels work with my oscar and JD. My tank has 1 oscar, 1 jd, 1 peacock eel, 1 Geophagus, and a smaller pleco in it. The geophagus was instantly attacked by the jd. And the Oscar actually tried eating it! It held its head in its mouth :( so I have to take him back soon :/ and the jd doesn't like the eel that much, but the oscar does not care :p

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a lone GT in my 125 with four clown loaches and four silver dollars. It is one of my all time favorite setups. It is still young and only about 6in but the SD are getting larger and the loaches are growing at a pretty good clip (for loaches) and avery active. I have been toying with the idea of adding a smaller trio or a single larger sized cat but as it sits I am very happy and don't feel like it's too empty while I'm looking at it. I also had a GT die once from trying to eat a 5in Raph. cat. when it was about 9in and I am now overly cautious about anything that will fit in it's mouth so I probably wont add anything.

Without other cichlids to draw its attention it has become more of an owner responsive fish and is now full of personality. It begs me for food, watches my wife intensely when she is moving around our room or sleeping (her head is right next to the corner of the tank at night), and tries to viciously attack my daughter when ever she is in the room. Good times.

A 75g would work but i would keep it alone. Now that my SD's are 4+ inches I can't see keeping them in a 4ft tank. They still dart into the ends of the tank when spooked in the 6 footer. Go with a 125g if you have the means,you wont regret it, you will have so many more options.

After years of packing tanks I found I really enjoy having more sparsely stocked single cichlid species tanks.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks chrispyworld and scarhbar for the excellent feedback. You've convinced me to leave here on her own. All great input and makes a lot of sense. I want a wet pet that interacts with me. So, now it's a matter of finding her a place. Where can I put a 75 where my wife won't notice it?

Here's her pic (the fish not my wife). I'm still convinced it's a 'she'. I've read the other thread that's currently going on about sexing these and I still can't tell for sure.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ahh haha good luck finding a place! Try the basement?

And it looks to me like a male to me, it already has a little bit of a hump, and its gold fins look really really gold to me! So I'm thinkin male

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would say male as well. Females tend to be a bit more drab from what I have seen.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Why did you decide for the tank??

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Undecided, but leaning toward finding him a new home. It's just not the right time for me to be investing in a tank for him.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am sorry :( what size tank do you have for him?? It would be awesome to just keep him, and him alone :/

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'll probably get some hate replies for saying this, but probably a 55. Maybe even a square 40, with really reaaaalllllyy good water. Like changes, filtration, ect..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts