Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the forum, I am an oscar and EBJD lover. i curently have 6 oscars, 1 EBJD, 1 jack dempsey, 2 fire eels, 1 bicher, and 1 pleco. My house is full of tanks right now...lol :wink:

Most of my oscars are rescue missions, like Gizmo, who was going to be flushed down the toilet when his old owners were going to move and couldn't take him.( I saved him 1 hour before his potential doom). :x

My tanks are very stocked, so I am forever doing water changes, but I just can't see theese fish have a septic system for a graveyard!

As soon as the snow is gone, we plan to start our 5000 gallon tank. That will lift the weight off my shoulders...lol

I plan on rescuing Oscars and other cichlids that people are constantly trying to drop off at the lfs because the people didn't realize that they got that big. The lfs told me that they are always turning down large cichlids especially oscars because they don't have large enough tanks to house them. They said that the longest time they went without someone showing up for that reason was 1 month!

So, I guess the only way to think posative about this is that it will be cheap or free to stock my new tank when it's ready, and the bonus would be that I'm helping homless cichlids. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When we built our home, we built it so we could add on, we started smaller, so we could just move in earlier. Now we are going to sdd on a larger living room. we are going to build it on the far side of that room so we can also see it in the dining room. I'm thinking that it would be good next to an exterior wall so we can ventalate it, because there is going to be a lot of moisture.

I wanted to decorate that room like a jungle with big windows and large plants. We want to put rock work on the livingroom side with a plexigalss window about 4x12' .

My sister suggested to get a large piece of driftwood, cut it in half, so that half of the driftwood is in the tank, and the other half is on the outside, so it looks like it is comming out of the tank. :thumb: I thought that was a neat idea...

Anyone out there have any ideas?
We are still in the design stages, so I wouldn't mind hearing other peoples thoughts... :wink:

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Welcome to the C-F!

This may be more appropriate for the DIY folder. Would you like me to move it there?

And speaking from experience.... Rescueing cichlids can be an arduous task... Sometimes you feel great, other times you feel... well.... sick to your stomach as to what people do.... so be prepared, and good luck with the build :thumb:

TFG :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure... move it over there if ya like :)

What were your experiences? Did you build a large tank too?...or do you know anyone who has?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
He's built an 800, I'm building a 500, CHB gator built a 600 and 94daek(or something like that, i can't remember his username) built a 1000 gallon tank. :)

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
For five thousand gallons I'd double what I have on my tank. My tank's filter could more than likely handle 3000 gallons when fully operational. Only 3/4 of the prefilters are used at once. :)

My filter is designed to filter a 5000 gallon pond... But I tend to do things a little overkill when it comes to filtration :lol: The filter on my 240 could probably keep my 800 clean :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Izzydawg said:
Thanks :thumb: Any ideas for decorating the inside? Any good filter set ups?
First off WOW! 5,000 Gallons. "Honey we have to get rid of the kids because we cant afford my tank if we keep them." :p

As TFG just said is go overkill on filtration. IMHO there is no such thing as over filtration, its better to have it there if you need it than to not have it there. Maybe fit in a fresh water Refugium somewhere full of lots of fast growing plants to suck up the nitrates. As for decorations inside the tank if I had the cash I'd get a BIG cypress stump and a few logs and mimic a SA biotope the best I could.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
There is a guy who goes by ccdoido and has a 5500 gallon tank...he is not a members of this site though...i beleive it is made of cement with a glass pane in the front.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
if its going to be that large and you are going to build around it i would use cement.

i have a few questions.

what type of foundation do you plan for the extension?

5000g is going to put a lot of stress on your foundation system, you may need bigger footing or deeper piers if you are doing a slab foundation..

anything under 1000g is ok for most slab foundations, any tank over 500g will need good planing on a house that is over a basement. of course the shorter the tank is the wider the foot print and the less stress there is per square foot, so i need to know how tall are you going?

then next problem is bridging the 8 foot gap, IF you are going to use plywood. you will need to use layers of plywood unless you custom order special extra long panels.

i think it would be best if you use a slab foundation, with extra pier supports and extra reinforcement of the slab. this is so there is NO movement!

then make the walls and front from pored cement or block, but be sure there is enough rebar and fill all the holes if you use block.

then it can be coated with a water proof cement like hydro stop or use a cement sealer like drylock. Or any of the good pool epoxies that are made for cement.

you may need to place the glass in the tank even before you frame the walls as very thick glass will need a crane to move into place.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The footing,..... Concrete, concrete, and more concrete....reinforced of coarse. We are looking into the piers, the original concept was just a really heavy reinforced slab, on plenty of packed gravel well below the frost line. This should be easy to achive as our new addition will be a sunken in livingroom. There is no basement.

The demensions would be 14' long x 8' wide x 6' high. We were going 10' x 4' x 1" with the acrylic panel.

The tank itself will be made of reinforced concrete. Only one long side will have an acrylic window as one side will have the filter and pump assembly.

Thanks for the epoxy idea, we are looking into that.

We chose acrylic over glass because of how much lighter it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
actually, if those dimensions are outside dimensions you would need to take off some for the wall thickness. so lets say the inside dimms are 84 x 156 x 72 = 546cubic ft, 546 x 7.48051945 is roughly 4084.3636197 gallons. (assuming you will have the full 6ft water column) :D and maybe i did my math wrong but the other dimms will get you 5026.9090704 gallons. :?:

I. WANT. ONE.

-matt

·
Registered
204 Posts
I saw an interesting build a while ago where an insulated shipping container was used. possibly a little bigger than your looking at, but not as silly an idea as it sounds

biggest problem with a tank that big is keeping it warm enough. especially as you talk about waiting for the snow to melt to start. the energy requirements will be huge in winter

good luck. i think it will be great

1 - 20 of 51 Posts