Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll be taking apart an old perfectly good 125 to use as glass for these. The bottom pane of glass will go into storage untill the fish room can handle a third 180... I made a stand a while ago for two 180's but it's loaded with a 30, 2 29's 3 20H and the donor 125... There's still fish in the 125 and wil be for a couple of weeks...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Are plywood tanks lighter than regular tanks? I want a big tank, but have no idea how to move a 300+ Lb tank.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RRasco said:
Are plywood tanks lighter than regular tanks? I want a big tank, but have no idea how to move a 300+ Lb tank.
Well, the answers are in your signature!

But to answer the real question it would depend on how big of a plywood tank you'd want to build. These 180's are lighter than glass but not as light as acrylic...

I personally would not build anything larger than say a 240 out of plywood without some kind of structural support. Then, the tank would become rather heavy... There's just to many variables to answer correctly.

Let's narrow it down, How big of a tank do you want? Keep in mind if you plan to move it it's got to fit through a door or a window...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I want at least a 125, but I really want to get something big enough to satisfy me for a while, like a 150, 180, 210, or 225. I was looking at the weight of tanks online, 338lb for a 150 or 180. Me and my brother moved my 110 tall (no idea how, we're both scrawny) and its supposed to weigh 228lb dry. I couldn't imagine what another 100lbs feels like on top of that.

I could always get my dad to help me, but he'll just give me sh1t for buying another tank. He thinks I'm crazy as it is.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, we're all a little crazy...

Something as small as you want would definately weigh less than an all glass tank.

I shutter to think what my 1200 weighs... too bad it's a permanent part of my house and we'll never know! :lol:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
What kinda glue? :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Hey gramps!!! Glad to see you're back at it :thumb:

Definitely making quick progress w/them. What are we using to seal them up?

Good luck w/the 125 deconstruct. It's always a PITA to take these things apart, especially w/o chipping the edges of the glass :?

PS:
RRasco
A plywood 180G should weigh less than that 110 Tall that you all moved. I was able to move my plywood 180 by myself a few years back, which i remember being much lighter than the 5' 110 glass tank that I have running right now. Anyway, if you're really THAT scrawny you could always send me a pm and I'd be willing to help you all out.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
imusuallyuseless said:
RRasco
A plywood 180G should weigh less than that 110 Tall that you all moved. I was able to move my plywood 180 by myself a few years back, which i remember being much lighter than the 5' 110 glass tank that I have running right now. Anyway, if you're really THAT scrawny you could always send me a pm and I'd be willing to help you all out.
LOL. Thanks, I may take you up on that offer.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts