Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got a couple of 55g tanks, both of which have an AQ70 + an Eheim 2236. In both tanks, there tend to be dead spots where a lot of waste accumulates on the bottom, never being filtered.

I'm looking for ways to get the water moving so that more of this gets filtered, but I am not in a position where I want to spend hundreds of dollars. I know there are some pretty fancy things out there! :)

What would people suggest for a reasonably cost-effective approach? I'd be willing to spend $50-75 per tank, but don't want to budget much more than that right now.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
$50-75 per tank is a pretty high budget for water circulation. You could get a Maxi-jet 900 for $25. Those have a pretty good current. Actually have one in my 55 for that exact reason.

There are lots of other models to choose from with varying prices as well.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
He did say budget friendly...

You can get 200gph power heads for like $20-25.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Would love to know where. I've only seen 300gph Koralia for $50+

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Are you using a spray bar? You can custom make one for your canister and rotate each length to direct the water . Your hardware store would have everything you need and shouldn't cost much at all .

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just got one of the 750 GPH Koralia's for 22.99 plus $6 shipping. So far it is working ok, wish I would have gotten the next size bigger though. It is replacing a Maxi-Jet 1200, but think I might end up using both of them once I switch from my 55g to my 75 g tomorrow. Currently I have that same dead spot going on right under my spray bar. It is unsightly but sure makes it easy to clean. Can vac out all the Poo and only remove about a half to one gallon of water. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts