Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had some experience with the Buccochromis lepturus?? The profile says they get up to 16" what would a typical aquarium size be???? I'm just wondering if something like this would end up eating say 3-5" fish

G

·
BenHugs said:
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had some experience with the Buccochromis lepturus?? The profile says they get up to 16" what would a typical aquarium size be???? I'm just wondering if something like this would end up eating say 3-5" fish
A 3" fish maybe...a 5" fish I doubt it. In the wild Buccochromis are piscivores but from my understanding they typically don't bother tank mates at all and are considered peaceful tankmates.

Keep in mind though that I don't it will be any risk at all to any 3" fish until it becomes full grown or close to it. For example in my tank I recently had a scare when my Exochochromis 7-8" male and my 6" female tried to eat my Tyrannochromis nigriventer 2-3.25" juveniles I added (since they didn't bother the 4" one I added I figured they wouldn't bother them). My male Exochochromis has a huge mouth and can fit like 8 whole krill in his mouth easily, yet they just couldn't seem to catch up to the Tyrannochromis. They did damage a few of the little guys's fins but all are accounted for.

My point being, even if the fish is of edible size, if the fish can't catch it they won't eat it. My Exochochromis just figured it wasn't worth wasting their enegery trying to catch them and instead are now completely ignoring them and are just eating the pellets and frozen foods that I feed.

~Ed

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marduk
I had a Buccochromis and accidentally killed it and wanted another one. It was really peaceful and only got up to 6" before the accident. I just wanted to make sure that my tank wasn't going to turn into a bait shop.

What is the fish pictured in your profile shot I like the face on it.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Marduk said:
In the wild Buccochromis are piscivores but from my understanding they typically don't bother tank mates at all and are considered peaceful tankmates.
Single male fish are usually fairly peaceful fish. A large spawning male on the other hand is a completely different story. There are a number of accounts where they have taken out quite a few of the other fish in the tank during spawning, including in some 8 foot tanks. These are big powerful fish, and can be aggressive. Certainly the male I kept was.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fogelhund you're saying that with a female buccochromis in the tank that's when the males can be a problem or if any species female is in the tank????I hear f. rostratus can be the same way I have one of those now but at 3" he's not much of a fish yet.

How big has your buccochromis gotten in your tanks???

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
My buccochromis was about 12", when he killed the 10" rostratus male, three rostratus females and two of his females, in a 6ft tank. I've heard similar stories from other people.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fogelhund said:
My buccochromis was about 12", when he killed the 10" rostratus male, three rostratus females and two of his females, in a 6ft tank. I've heard similar stories from other people.
Wow did you eat him after that :eek:

so would you recommend a bucco for a male mostly hap tank? or should I just skip that one?

G

·
I would get a Bucco male for sure. They make great display fish. Just be careful when you stock them with other Buccos or females, as you could get a horror story like Fogelhund's.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have 3 Buccochromis Nototania,I had 4 to begin with and one got killed. Anyway I really like these guys but mine appear a little agressive,not crazy agressive but agressive. I want to break it down to one male but can't tell which one is a male,due because they don't color up for a while,is there anyway to tell this early? Mine are about 3 inches. I figured with some of the aggression that there is probably a female in the group. Help appreciated. But like I said these are a awesome fish.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would love to have a Tyrannchromis N., don't see those here in Nebraska. You can mail me a male Marduk. :thumb:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Definitely get one! They are one of the neatest fish I've ever kept. If it helps I keep mine with Placidachromis electra,o. Lithobates Z-rock,Copadachromis "midnight mloto",and Protomelas insignis.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Scollie said:
I have 3 Buccochromis Nototania,I had 4 to begin with and one got killed. Anyway I really like these guys but mine appear a little agressive,not crazy agressive but agressive. I want to break it down to one male but can't tell which one is a male,due because they don't color up for a while,is there anyway to tell this early? Mine are about 3 inches. I figured with some of the aggression that there is probably a female in the group. Help appreciated. But like I said these are a awesome fish.
I wouldn't count on a juvenile's behaviour at 3", to have any correlation to what they will do as mature adults.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scollie said:
My Buccochromis was about 4-5 inches and coloring up.... but I accidentally killed him :( so hold on to them for a little while longer just to be sure.

G

·
Scollie said:
I would love to have a Tyrannchromis N., don't see those here in Nebraska. You can mail me a male Marduk. :thumb:
Haha I could if you want. It would have to wait a few months though while they grow out. Currently I have one definite male at 4" they is growing like crazy that I'm definitely keeping.

All I really want is one male and a few females, but I may sell any females too.

When I get more than two confirmed males (keeping an extra one just in case ;p) then I'll consider selling them...or you could wait until I get fry...they'll probably start breeding at the earliest this fall if they keep growing at the rate they are now.

G

·
Fogelhund said:
Scollie said:
Meaning they are going to get more aggressive? or what?
Mature breeding males will be MUCH more aggressive than 3" juvies.
Nonetheless from what I've heard they're a lot less aggressive than S. fryeri.

You apparently kept both species though Fogelhund...is that true that single male Buccochromis are less aggressive than a single male S. fryeri?

~Ed

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Marduk said:
You apparently kept both species though Fogelhund...is that true that single male Buccochromis are less aggressive than a single male S. fryeri?

~Ed
I never kept a single male in a tank, so I really can't comment on that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fogelhund said:
Marduk said:

~Ed
I never kept a single male in a tank, so I really can't comment on that.
So fogelhund you have always kept breeding groups in your tanks???

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.