Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90 gal has been up and running since January. I have been doing weekly 50% water changes using Prime right along. I notice that some times, like today especially, I will get Brown debris all over my substrate and rocks. It looks almost like dirt. WHat is it? Is this normal? I usually have to vacuum and clean the rocks to get rid of it. WIll it go away on its own or do I need to keep cleaning it manually?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If it is like "slime" that wipes off easily yes it is totally normal. Its diatomes (pardon the spelling) I get it too, but it heard it will stop coming back after a while. Personally I dont really mind it, it makes the tank look more natural to me.

Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but willing to bet that is what your dealing with.

On a side note, does this turn into the desirable green algae after a while?

·
Registered
173 Posts
i belieive you have what is called diatoms, very normal. Happens with every tank that gets set up and runs. It is part of the getting established period. some say it takes 6 months to a year for a tank to fully get established. So perfectly normal and all I do it clean the glass algae eaters (ex.plecos, snails, and most fish) eat it or just let it grow for the natural look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I held off on my 50% water change this week to see what happens. Maybe I'm changing the water too often? I have 2 small plecos, Do I need more?

·
Registered
656 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
If it is like "slime" that wipes off easily yes it is totally normal. Its diatomes (pardon the spelling) I get it too, but it heard it will stop coming back after a while. Personally I dont really mind it, it makes the tank look more natural to me.

Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but willing to bet that is what your dealing with.

On a side note, does this turn into the desirable green algae after a while?
It is probably diatoms, and yes, green algae will replace it if water and light conditions are right

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
dmpjr said:
I held off on my 50% water change this week to see what happens. Maybe I'm changing the water too often? I have 2 small plecos, Do I need more?
I would continue doing water changes as normal. In newly set up tanks its very common and usually subsides overtime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts