Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have five well established (several years) tanks. I have always had Brown algae and it's a pain having to clean my river rock each week with water changes. My water chemistry is always consistent no ammonia,no nitrites an nitrates of 5-10. My lights are on timers and are on four hours in morning and four hours in afternoon with no lights 10am-2pm. There is no direct sunlight. It seems I've tried everything with exception of testing for phosphate. Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
They do not multiply in fresh water...they are brackish.

There is a marine nerite...this one is different.

The brackish nerites do not live their full life spans in freshwater like African cichlid tank...mine only did the glass, no rocks or plants.

For me the cichlids continually knocked them off the glass. The nerites need to eat algae and need to feed continuously to survive. I had one that lived several years but most passed in a year or two.

I would test for phosphate and limit lights to six hours daily.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Bristlenose pleco?
These do an excellent job in our tanks, almost to the point we don't have to clean the glass.

If it is on the rock work, I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot.

Can you post a pic of said algae?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BlueSunshine said:
Bristlenose pleco?
These do an excellent job in our tanks, almost to the point we don't have to clean the glass.

If it is on the rock work, I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot.

Can you post a pic of said algae?
I'm at this time unable to post pictures. The algae is in one week turning rocks dark brown if left on rocks it turns black. I have rock piles at opposite ends of tank. So I clean one side each week. I personally don't like how the rocks look with all that brown/black. Cleaning them is kind of a pain though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
They do not multiply in fresh water...they are brackish.

There is a marine nerite...this one is different.

The brackish nerites do not live their full life spans in freshwater like African cichlid tank...mine only did the glass, no rocks or plants.

For me the cichlids continually knocked them off the glass. The nerites need to eat algae and need to feed continuously to survive. I had one that lived several years but most passed in a year or two.

I would test for phosphate and limit lights to six hours daily.
Tested phosphate. Tap water 2 and aquarium water 5+. Lights on only 6-8 hours. Will set timers for six hours.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I would up your water changes to get the phosphate down.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJRansome said:
I would up your water changes to get the phosphate down.
I'm going to try Phosguard as my tap water has 2+ phosphate reading. Make sense? My regular weekly water changes of 50 percent then check again after week or so to see if that works. I don't use any ph buffers so Phosguard should not effect chemistry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is your lighting? If it's on the brighter/more powerful side, 6-8hrs may be too much.

Also agree that bristlenose plecos are great options.. my only challenge has been finding them big enough to add to my peacock/hap tank. I put a smaller one in the tank (which I shouldn't have) and the peacocks see him as food or something to kill.. couldn't get him out, so he's been in there hiding and surviving. If you can find them at a decent size it would be a great option.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slow-n-Steady said:
What is your lighting? If it's on the brighter/more powerful side, 6-8hrs may be too much.

Also agree that bristlenose plecos are great options.. my only challenge has been finding them big enough to add to my peacock/hap tank. I put a smaller one in the tank (which I shouldn't have) and the peacocks see him as food or something to kill.. couldn't get him out, so he's been in there hiding and surviving. If you can find them at a decent size it would be a great option.
I've cut lighting. Pretty sure lighting type/hours on not the problem. With my phosphate readings as high as they are out of tap and tank readings I'm going to try getting phosphate down. This is the only thing I haven't done. Not crazy about adding plecos.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I've never had phosphate, so can't comment on chemical controls.

Less light will help. I have had zero algae in my tanks all year until spring when the angle of the sun hits the end of one tank. Brown algae.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts