Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help big time, I'm getting super fustrated with my tank.

I have Brown Algae that seems to come back within days of cleaning. Making everything look horrible, I just did a 1/3 change on this past Saturday and cleaned the rocks and glass.

How can I kill and get rid of this, I'm getting of chasing it around.

Pictures are attached

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
You may not like the answer. It is common in new tanks, it lasts several months and eventually it goes away on it's own.

Meanwhile it is easy to remove and it does not harm the fish.

Know that algae in tanks (not brown necessarily) is normal and beneficial in tanks. Squeaky clean tanks usually only happen on rare occasions for pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
You may not like the answer. It is common in new tanks, it lasts several months and eventually it goes away on it's own.

Meanwhile it is easy to remove and it does not harm the fish.

Know that algae in tanks (not brown necessarily) is normal and beneficial in tanks. Squeaky clean tanks usually only happen on rare occasions for pictures.
Sooo Brown Algae is not normal?

What is it then hahaha

My Condo Complex is going to kill me on the water bill hahahaha

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Brown algae is likely not algae at all but diatoms.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was reading about diatoms and they apparently prefer dim lighting. High phosphate,silicate and nitrate cause diatom outbreaks. Do a test for each and see if any are high, I read Seachem Phosguard was good for removing phosphate and silicate.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I read about this too when I started my new tanks, but I did not find anything that helped...I have zero phosphate and low nitrates without using Phosguard or chemicals.

Silicates are hard to avoid with sand in the tank. The diatoms do eventually go away on their own but it does seem like it takes forever.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ralph493 said:
cyclonecichlids said:
Run the lights less and you'll have less brown algae.
I haven't found this the case with diatoms. Normal algae yes.
+1. Avoid overfeeding and large, weekly water changes/good tank & filter maintenance helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts