Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, plants were doing great for a couple of months. Not a speck of algae and decent growth considering the low lighting level. Again, long story short I felt compelled to use Seachem Stability. I also went away for 5 days right afterwards during which time the tank wasn't getting it's usual every other day does of flourish excel. I came back to some brown algae on my rocks, glass, and plants. The plants is my main concern. I'm sure this is due to the bacteria bloom. Should these diatoms/algae go away on it's own or is there omething I should be doing? I've gone to a daily dosing of excel. Shuold I also reduce my photoperiod to something like an hour or two a day for about 4 days or so? Or perhaps a total blackout?(will that be safe for my plants?) Should I be trimming off leaves that have the brown stuff on it? All advice appreciated. Here are some pics for clarification. The stuff on the glass wipes off but not on the rocks or the plants. Green on rocks I like, brown on plants not so much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is a useful guide:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

I too have recently had a flourish of brown algae in my established tank, and this is since I have started feeding the plants with Nutrafin PlantGro. I use half the recommended dose, but think that's too much.

From my limited experience, I would recommend you stop feeding, do a water change, leave it two weeks, then start feeding 10% of the recommended dose, upping each week by 10%. If/when you start to see some algae, don't dose, do the water change, and then dose at the level before you had an algae problem.

Not saying it will work, and if you have a test kit it would be worth tesing Nitrates and Phosphates before doing the water change.

As I say, I'm not an expert but this is what I have found. I do have some Rowaphos (got it free) and so I will be putting that in my tank soon, so I shall let you know the results.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I didn't have the results earlier, but just to add, phosphates in my established tank are 5mg/l and Nitrates 10 (low).

I have just added Rowaphos to the filter and shall see if/how it brings this down and what affect that has on the algae (if any).

As a side note, our tap water conatins 1mg/l phosphates.

How many plants do you have in your tank? Is it heavily planted? If not I would stop adding any feeds altogether.

Algae grows well in any light, so reducing your already low lighting may not make any difference.

I wouldn't trim off the covered leaves if they are not damaged. They may quickly deteriorate though if light isn't getting to them because of teh algae, so I'd keep an eye on teh plant/leaf health.

As I say, a test kit may be useful for Nitrates and Phosphates, see what you have :thumb: Then a water change if required.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts