Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I've got a Tanganyika tank for a year now and I still have brown algae problems. I attach two photos of my tank, where you can see build up on rocks (and intermediate level of substrate) and on the back glass and inlet canister pipe. My parameters are as follows:
Temp = 78.2
pH = 8.5
Fosphates = 0
Nitrates = 10
Ammonia = 0.25
Chloride = 0.8
Nitrites = 0
GH = 12
KH = 6
Silicates = 0.6
I only use liquid tests with the exception of KH and GH.
I leave the lights on for 8 hours with dimmer in the first and last hour and no direct sunlight. LED lighting (whites only).
I do a 30% water change weekly adding Seachem Safe every time.
Although I do scrap the algae from the rocks and glass, in 3 days I can see the algae building up already on the glass.

I know brown algae are usual in new setups but I have my tank for a year now...

Thanks for any advice.

Pedro

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Reduce your light to six hours or less and shield the tank from indirect sunlight. Change 50% or more weekly. Is the algae long or just short/fuzzy? It's rare to have a completely algae free tank unless the tank is really mostly lacking all light. Weekly scraping of the glass is a repetitive task that is usual with every water change if you want photo-ready glass. What size is the tank? How much circulation do you have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure why I cant click on the photos to enlarge them, but from the thumbnails it looks like diatoms algae. I see that you have a Silicate reading in your water. Diatoms seem to grow when there's excess silicates in the water. I added a bag of Seachem Phosguard into my filter to absorb phosphates and silicates and the diatoms did not come back. Shortly after green algae started to grow and starve out the diatoms.

I agree with what DJRansome said. You're going to have algae of some sort no matter what, once the brown/diatom algae is gone it may be replaced with green algae. White rocks/sand are harder to maintain as it's a great place for algae to thrive on. If you want the tank to be spotless, perhaps you may want to get a little wire/steel brush and just scrape them off more regularly.

Here's a quick read on diatoms and solutions
https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wi ... rown-algae

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Reduce your light to six hours or less and shield the tank from indirect sunlight. Change 50% or more weekly. Is the algae long or just short/fuzzy? It's rare to have a completely algae free tank unless the tank is really mostly lacking all light. Weekly scraping of the glass is a repetitive task that is usual with every water change if you want photo-ready glass. What size is the tank? How much circulation do you have?
Thanks for the reply. Their fuzzy, looking like dust... My tank is 80 gallons and I have a 2000 l/h canister filter and a 5000 l/h wave maker .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dakkon227 said:
Not sure why I cant click on the photos to enlarge them, but from the thumbnails it looks like diatoms algae. I see that you have a Silicate reading in your water. Diatoms seem to grow when there's excess silicates in the water. I added a bag of Seachem Phosguard into my filter to absorb phosphates and silicates and the diatoms did not come back. Shortly after green algae started to grow and starve out the diatoms.

I agree with what DJRansome said. You're going to have algae of some sort no matter what, once the brown/diatom algae is gone it may be replaced with green algae. White rocks/sand are harder to maintain as it's a great place for algae to thrive on. If you want the tank to be spotless, perhaps you may want to get a little wire/steel brush and just scrape them off more regularly.

Here's a quick read on diatoms and solutions
https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wi ... rown-algae
From what I read, they do seem to be diatoms. I do have Phosguard in my canister and the silicates are low. Maybe is just a question of time before they're gone?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Usually it is months before diatoms are gone, but your tank has been running for a year.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Put some moss or guppy grass in the tank.

I run a huge amount of lights 24 hours and never have algae issues any more since I got flame moss.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also add an 11.74 oz bag of chemi-pure elite and all seems well. I have done a lot of reading and it seems for the "Brown Algae" good lighting is a must. The only place left in my 55 where "brown algae" grows is in the dark area near my Tidal 75. I have a much better light coming and that should take care of the rest of my issue. My lighting is absolutely horrible at this point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
robcope said:
I also add an 11.74 oz bag of chemi-pure elite and all seems well. I have done a lot of reading and it seems for the "Brown Algae" good lighting is a must. The only place left in my 55 where "brown algae" grows is in the dark area near my Tidal 75. I have a much better light coming and that should take care of the rest of my issue. My lighting is absolutely horrible at this point.
You mean brighter lights?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know I'm rather new here, but I had a problem with the brown/black algae. I tried all the stupid fizz tabs and all the other pet store junk. I gave up and just kept cleaning it off of things when it started looking ugly. But then, one day I put a fish in that caused an ich outbreak. So, I slowly raised my heat to about 82/83 and treated my fish with the non iodized salt amounts recommended from here for about two weeks. Low and behold, it, assuming the salt, killed off the algae. It has never came back that dark color again??? Was it a fluke, I'm not sure, but it's gone and my fish are fine also. Again, I'm new here, so ask the pros here if this is worth a shot or if it will harm your fish before trying it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
depro said:
robcope said:
Not sure about brighter, but better coverage. My current leds don't cover all areas of the tank. So I have dark areas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robcope said:
depro said:
robcope said:
Not sure about brighter, but better coverage. My current leds don't cover all areas of the tank. So I have dark areas.
I guess that's one of the problems. I think my LEDs also don't cover all areas, in particular the back glass which quickly gets covered with brown algae in the areas near the sand. I'm going to put the leads a little to the back and see the results. Going also to decrease a little the intensity. In the areas where the light doesn't reach at all (caves), the stones are pristine white...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts