Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I busted my heater today while doing a water change and adding an additional canister filter. Thankfully I have a new extra one that I bought to upgrade but saw no reason to until something changed. It changed I guess.

So my question is: Based on the picture, did I screw up the water with this breakage? Was there anything in the element that would harm the water? And secondly, I don't trust heaters, I have to leave the house for 5 hours or so, the water temp is 83 right now, room temp is 69. It's 55g tank, If I leave the heater off for 5 hours would that be bad?

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Shouldn't be anything in there that would hurt anything; leaving the heater off won't be a problem. The temp will go down slowly, and, in my very not expert opinion, your water temp is too high. I would let it drop to 76 to 78 personally. The water will hold oxygen better below 80.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
Doubtful the broken heater will affect water quality but be sure to find and remove any broken glass.

You shouldn't see too much of a temperature drop IF the tank has a lid. I would wait until you get home to set up the new heater. I'm not sure why you are keeping the tank that high unless you are treating for illness or that species needs that temperature.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Despite being plugged in, my heater hasn't turned "on" for weeks, yet my aquarium is consistently at 78 degrees. I have glass tops, maybe that has something to do with it. Point being that during the warmer temps so far his spring, I haven't actually needed the heater at all.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Newbie said:
Shouldn't be anything in there that would hurt anything; leaving the heater off won't be a problem. The temp will go down slowly, and, in my very not expert opinion, your water temp is too high. I would let it drop to 76 to 78 personally. The water will hold oxygen better below 80.
It was 81 when I got home. I don't normally keep it that high, usually it's at 79. It's 80 now, I'm trying to lower it but I can't get these darn heaters right, my new eheim is set at 77? The 83 must have come from me being distracted during the water change or the broken heater did it. Tell you what though, these guys are downright nasty to each other in warmer temps, there were several skirmishes during the 83 degree time.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Eheim heaters need to be checked for calibration against a thermometer. The one I have was out 10F from the setting. As well,in my view it is important to not have a heater that is too big for the tank. Heaters seem to fail in the on position and a heater that is too big for the tank can raise the temps dangerously high. Forums are full of stories of failed heaters and boiled fish.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BillD said:
Eheim heaters need to be checked for calibration against a thermometer. The one I have was out 10F from the setting. As well,in my view it is important to not have a heater that is too big for the tank. Heaters seem to fail in the on position and a heater that is too big for the tank can raise the temps dangerously high. Forums are full of stories of failed heaters and boiled fish.
Mine is definitely off but she's steady at 78.3 right now so I'm not touching a thing.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It doesn't matter what the dial says if it is keeping the tank at the temp you want. hang on back heaters don't have a temp setting. You adjust them until you get the temp you want. Submersibles can be used the same way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts