Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in USA for two days, and I want to buy live African Cichlids from a member of Cichlid-Forum while I am there.

What do you guys think? Would I have much of an issue bringing back African Cichlids from USA to Manitoba? I would be buying from private seller, therefore I wouldn't really have a "receipt" per se.

How could I make this work?

I fired a detailed email off to Canada Food Inspection Agency, detailing my info, seller's info, species scientific name and synonyms, amount of payment being exchanged, etc. However, this is too little, too late I am thinking. I should have planned this out more in advance.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Make sure the water in your radiator is cycled? Sorry, any inquiries I've made into getting fish across the border have led nowhere. I would love to know the answer too. Also the answer to having fish shipped to me from the US. The few suppliers I've checked don't ship to Canada (presumably because of the complications, delays and inherent risks). Anyone done this small-scale? (no hijack intended - pls give priority to the OP's question).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Is there anything official (like laws :roll: ) anywhere on bringing livestock into the country? Research into that.

I'm thinking you could just give it a go. Dress and look casual. Play stupid. Have a plan B, though.

Just in case, try to get something that at least "looks" official from the seller, what kind of fish they are (goldfish! :) ), how many, that they've been "vaccinated" (just say it!), and that they're headed for a home aquarium for private use.

-Ryan

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
There is no issues with taking cichlids over the border INTO Canada. You may have to pay a duty tax. Have a written list, with all of the scientific names, and the prices that you paid for them. There is no real need to do any further planning than this.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Fogelhund said:
DJRansome said:
What about the other direction? From Canada to US?
MUCH more difficult, need a license, and an appointment for inspection.
"A license?... for a pet fish?" someone's gotta make the Monty Python reference! :lol:

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
In Canada we're fairly certain that released cichlids won't survive in our environment so there are no restrictions for them. Same for all reptiles not including turtles/tortoises, you can bring them into Canada from any destination, to any destination for whatever reason you like.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Darkside said:
In Canada we're fairly certain that released cichlids won't survive in our environment so there are no restrictions for them. Same for all reptiles not including turtles/tortoises, you can bring them into Canada from any destination, to any destination for whatever reason you like.
It's nice when common sense and bureaucracy are on the same page.

-Ryan

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Received this reply from CFIA:

Hello Robert,

This email is in response to your request for information on the import of live fish into Canada.

Currently there are no permits or other license requirements with respect to aquatic animal health and the importation and movement of tropical or ornamental fish species into Canada; however amendments are being made to the Health of Animals Act regulations that will, in the future, require all aquatic animals (this includes finfish, molluscs and crustaceans) to have an import permit to enter Canada. Please note exemptions have been proposed for personal pet fish. There is a proposed list of susceptible aquatic animal species which includes tropical and ornamental fishes that will be specifically regulated and need a permit. It is anticipated that finfish not on that list will not require a permit.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is currently in the process of consulting on the proposed regulatory changes that will be required to establish an import/export program. It is anticipated that these regulations will become law hopefully by the end of 2008.

For further information on import requirements for other aquatic animal species or the changing regulations and the new Aquatic Animal Health import program you can visit:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... quae.shtml or
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... impe.shtml.

I would also advise that you contact the Canadian Border Service Agency with regards to the details of their requirements for declaration and transport of the animals back into Canada. You can visit their website at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/menu-eng.html or toll free at 1-800-461-9999.

If you have any further questions please let me know.
Regards

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After 4.5 hours in bags (2 hours from seller to border, 1 hour at border, 1 hour home, 30 minutes acclimatization) . . .

40 Ã- Tropheus Moorii "Mpulungu" a.k.a. "Kasakalawe" made it home, sweet home! ;)

They're only 1" to about 2.25", but these are going to be a growout project, hoping for a colony of maybe 6 - 8 males, 18 - 24 females in the end, couple of years from now.

ZERO losses during the trip, and ZERO losses to date, cross fins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts