Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I always hear that brichardi are the devils of the fish world once they spawn. Does anybody know of a case when brichardi or pulchers actually seeked out the other fish in a large tank and killed them? By large tank I mean 5-6 feet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think they get violent in smaller tanks due to limited territory, you might be ok in a 6 footer.
I think FMueller has some in a big tank, maybe ask him.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have talked to him a few times about it. You see that Brichardi will kill other fish on the forums weekly, I'm just wondering if its being built up or is it true. I'm sure it can happen.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine just spawned a couple of weeks ago and there are 3 that protect the fry and probably, since I have a 125g 6 footer, they leave the other Brichardi and Plecos alone. I bet, though, if I had some other more timid fish that came close to the fry they'd probably get ripped to shreds.

All the best !!! :fish:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I don't know from personal experience, but a local restaurant had breeding pulchers in a 6x2x3 foot tank, and the large haps and peacocks (some were at least 8") were all crammed in the last 6"of the tank. They weren't torn to bits, but they sure didn't look happy. The pulcher swarm was camped out smack dab in the middle of the tank, though, so perhaps the larger fish might have had more room if the pulcher nest was at one end of the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts