Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly a silly question, but...

Is "inbreeding" a concern with fish?? I have Brichardi multiplying like crazy, of course, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with all these fry...If I give them out (I'm a teacher), would they be able to pair and breed? I don't want to mislead anyone...

Thanks...sorry for my ignorance!
Merissa

·
Registered
161 Posts
inbreeding fish is really hard to do, have no clue why they say f1s rule. i believe in upto f5 then introduce a new blood line. thats how diffrent morphs came to be, say in the beginning there was only one giant school of cyps and they split those groups inbred to create two separate morphs. thats why inbreeding can take place.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
merissa said:
Possibly a silly question, but...

Is "inbreeding" a concern with fish?? I have Brichardi multiplying like crazy, of course, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with all these fry...If I give them out (I'm a teacher), would they be able to pair and breed? I don't want to mislead anyone...

Thanks...sorry for my ignorance!
Merissa
Inbreeding depression in fish isn't of major concern. The fish will be able to pair and breed and will act quite normally. In fact your fish are likely a sibling pair as well, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts