Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20gal briccardi breeding tank, with a 10gal filter, and a regular lamp and bulb(from Home depot). My tank became very green and i'm not talking about the walls the water is turning green. I started over and emptied out all the water(which killed all my babies). I just want to know waht it keeps turning green and what i can do to fix it, is it my 10 filter?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Too much nutrients, and too much light.

Changing all the water, you are lucky you didn't kill the adults too.

Exactly what type of filter do you have? It sounds like you might be underfiltered.

I would recommend reducing the time you have the light on, as well as doing weekly 30% water changes, or more often if necessary.

Is there food on the gravel after you are done feeding them?

Regular incandescent bulbs are known for creating algae, give off too much heat, and the spectrum can turn the water green.

By the way, your fish are brichardi, not briccardi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on getting the penguin for a 20gl. And i transferred the parents to a different tank. By the way, if I switch my light will the algea stop, and what light should i switch to.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would plan on getting a filter for a 30gallon. The cost shouldn't be a great deal more, but it will be more effective.

I would recommend going with a fluorescent bulb.

·
Registered
705 Posts
id get a cheap canister filter myself. not too hard to find one of the smaller ones. (its what i use on my brichardi setup paired with a sponge filter) seems to be working great. plenty of flow to mix up all the fresh baby brine. go with less light for sure. and more water changes more often would help. 8 hours a day is plenty good for lighting. whats the wattage on what your using? have you considered just buying a basic light/light setup for your tank? aqueon has some cheap ones available just about anywhere. so long as your tank isnt an odd shape or something.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
The fish need no lights to breed fine. The only prob with no lights is you do not see em at there best. Just go for a shorter light period and keep em out of sun light to get the algae under control. It is a very small tank for breeding brichardi but then not impossible. Yep A cheap commertial filter would do fine but if on a tight budget so would many ugly home made devices.
Eg. http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkViperCo ... 8DEBFBE29B

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guysvery much and i'm not on a low budget, but would the penguin for a 30 be good.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
"The Penguin Bio-Wheel 150 Power Filter filters 150 GPH, and is for all aquariums up to 30 gallons."

Sounds ideal.
Though someone else check this please. In the UK these hang on the side/back filters are not used much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an AquaClear 50 (200gph) on my 20gal. Costs less than $10 more than the Penguin 150.
You get an optimal 10x per hour filtration rate and no costly replacement cartridges to buy.
Currently have 4 AquaClears in use (in 4 diff. sizes) all with excellent results and easy maintenance. But to be fair, look up both products, read some customer reviews, then decide.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts