Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two pairs of WC 'Lamprologus" brevis for around 18 months. They've bred and seem healthy.

I noticed the bottom jaw of one of the males started turning black around 8 to 10 months ago but it didn't seem to bother him. I started noticing a growth on his bottom lip a few months back and treated with Melafix and Pimafix in hopes it would clear it up. It didn't. I removed the growth with a scalpel a few months back and treated with Melafix. The black never went away and the growth has returned, it's fleshy and whitish and when I removed it, there was blood being delivered to it.

I have both pairs separated in a Q tank (in hopes they'll breed again) and am treating the tank with Melafix and Pimafix. They've been in there two weeks and other than nobody eating too much they seem fine. Until today... I noticed the male with the growth sitting on top of the pre-filter of a power head. I thought he was dead as he didn't look good but when I went to pick him out, he swam down to his shell and hid. I just went down to check on them and there he was again, at the top of the tank near the heater.

It's taken me weeks to get a half decent picture of this growth... I've never seen anything like it and it doesn't seem to respond to Mela/Pimafix. I'm also afraid he may not be long for this world...

Unfortunately, this is the best I can do..

All that black around the mouth and face is not normal and is a direct result of this growth. I've scoured the Internet looking for a diagnosis on my own with no luck. I've ruled out Columnaris due to the length of time it's been present and Lymphocystis because there are no other growths nor has it spread to any other fish. Tricky illnesses seem to baffle me, I'm hoping someone has seen this before.

Tested the water this morning... all numbers are good... pH 8.0, Nitrite & amm. zero, water could be a bit harder at a gH of only 8 but isn't related. Feeding is normal. NLS once a day.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, an update. Tonight I came home to find him sitting on the bottom, out of the shell, just sitting there. Breathing a bit fast in my opinion and he didn't look well. So bad that I thought there's no way he'll make it through the night, so I got medieval on him.

I did a 90% water change, added salt and upped the temp to about 83 degrees, tomorrow I'll increase it to 86. I have the powerhead on heavy aeration so there's bubbles everywhere and I treated with Jungle Parasite Clear. The healthy pair are now in another tank.

We'll see if he makes it through the night I guess.

Fish diseases... they are so much fun.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You do realize you are answering your own questions, right, Joea? :lol:

Reading through your first post, I was going to suggest exactly what you did in the second post. Did you use epsom salt or regular aquarium salt? I seem to have more luck with the epsom salt.

Removing the growth and watching it return makes me think that it is something systemic, possibly even cancerous???

Keep us posted. I'll be interested to hear how your methods are working out. I've never seen this before.

Kim

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cichlidaholic said:
You do realize you are answering your own questions, right, Joea? :lol:
Yeah, I know and I was pretty sure what to do but this whole lethargy thing was new and I was hoping maybe some saviour would say "Hey! That same thing happened to me and here's how I cured it!" You'd think I'd be able to figure it out, what with my new degree! :D

This morning he's a new fish! Spunky, swimming and disappearing into the shell when I approach the tank. He's breathing normally as well. I honestly thought he was a goner last night. In fact, had I not done what I did last night, I'm sure he wouldn't have made it. I'll treat one more time for parasite and keep my eye on that tumor.

I use pickling salt. It's non-iodized, raw salt and I find it's not only cheaper than Epsom but it dissolves faster.

Thanks Kim, I'll keep you updated.

G

·
Magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom Salt) is mostly beneficial when used as a laxative for fish.
Sodium chloride (such as the 'salt' that Joe used) helps reduce the toxic effects of nitrite (NO2), reduces osmoregulatory stress (such as when a fish is suffering from laboured breathing, like Joe's fish) and can also help control protozoal infestations, and fungal infections.

Glad to hear that your fish is doing better, Joe, well done! :thumb:

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
so I got medieval on him.
Did anyone else take this to mean that he put the fish out of it's misery? I thought you were referring to a guillotine, or some other form of execution from Medieval times.

Robin

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Oh, okay.

Like you I'm amazed the fish made it but it doesn't seem like a parasitic problem to me, Joe--I would guess a bacterial infection.
The Jungle Parasite Clear may be an okay choice though as it contains Acriflavine and Metronidazole, both of which are effective against bacterial infections.

Once you get done with the JPC I might try a round of Maracyn & Maracyn-two or some other anti-bacterial med.
BTW, Columnaris doesn't always kill fast but it's probably not Columnaris since you hiked the temp and had no adverse effects. Columnaris speeds up--gets worse-- with heat.

Fish. Sometimes they die for seemingly no reason and other times they don't when it seems there's no other option.

Robin

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I counted out Columnaris because he's had the black around the mouth and the growth for close to a year. If it were columnaris, it surely would have killed him by now.

Thanks Robin, I'll let the Met do it's job (two treatments) and move on to the Maracyn, even if the fish seems fine. All this treatment shouldn't adversely affect the female should it? I can't separate the two... she's a little trooper... by his side the whole time. :lol:

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Oh sorry, you're right on the Columnaris--missed that he'd had it for close to a year. :roll:

It shouldn't hurt the female to be treated. Not ideal but I agree I wouldn't separate in this case.

Robin

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Make sure you keep us posted, Joea.

Good luck!

Kim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Joea....did you ever find what your fish has and what a cure for it was. I was looking at your picture and 2 of my fish have the same growth with another one seeming as if it is gonnna to develop the same way. I am treating the tank currently with sea salt and doing a 90% water change. This this help when you did this. Please let me know what info. you received regarding this mystery disease. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.