Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of brevis in a three gallon eclipse system. I've had them for about five months. They spawned twice and had no problems raising their fry in there. Shortly before I went in to get the last of the fry out I noticed the male wouldn't let the female into the shell they were sharing. She can hang out in an escargot shell less than an inch from the big shell but he just won't let her in and will sometimes chase her back to a small shell if she gets too close. It's been like this now for three or four weeks. Other than the occasional short chase there's no aggression. They can hang out side by side as long as it isn't around the big shell.

Are they just taking a break? I'm not trying to get rich off of brevis fry or anything but I miss all the little ones swimming around.

Here's a shot of the tank when they had fry.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Long term, a three gallon eclipse is really too small. If it was a true breakup of the pair, she would be dead in such a small tank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fogelhund said:
Long term, a three gallon eclipse is really too small. If it was a true breakup of the pair, she would be dead in such a small tank.
Well I'm glad it's not a true breakup then. As for the tank being to small I'm not seeing it yet but I'll keep a close eye on them. The tank area just left of the big shell is unused space without fry in there.

All their fry grew up surprisingly fast and found new homes.

On a more successful note, after months of waiting my similis have some free swimming fry with them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only got a second but just wanted to say that they are back together in the same shell.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:dancing: A month after getting back together my brevis have fry swimming around the tank. :dancing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts