Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my fish about 9 months, everybody seems happy and healthy. From what I read they are supposed to be prolific breeders but I haven't seen anything. I''m wondering what's going on, is it too soon for them, water quality....etc?

All fish are about 3"
5 cobalt blue
5 yellow labs
3 rusties
2 demasoni
2 haps I forget what they are called (this was a mistake)
1 tiny red pleco

Water is good:
0 nitrite
0 ammonia
20 nitrate
7.9 PH
79 degrees

I have excellent filtration, it's a 4ft 55g with two cascade 1000 canisters.

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
I've had my fish about 9 months, everybody seems happy and healthy. From what I read they are supposed to be prolific breeders but I haven't seen anything. I''m wondering what's going on, is it too soon for them, water quality....etc?

All fish are about 3"
5 cobalt blue
5 yellow labs
3 rusties
2 demasoni
2 haps I forget what they are called (this was a mistake)
1 tiny red pleco

Water is good:
0 nitrite
0 ammonia
20 nitrate
7.9 PH
79 degrees

I have excellent filtration, it's a 4ft 55g with two cascade 1000 canisters.
They will do what they are going to do in their own time; once mine started breeding it was contagious...kind of wish they would stop. I pulled a lot of rocks out of my tanks to give the fry less of a chance for survival.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Try eliminating the haps and demasoni...with them in the tank I would not save fry in any case.

Water is fine. Labs and rusties can start any time at 9 months. Cobalts will probably take much longer.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
Try eliminating the haps and demasoni...with them in the tank I would not save fry in any case.

Water is fine. Labs and rusties can start any time at 9 months. Cobalts will probably take much longer.
The haps were a mistake I just have no idea how to get rid of them. I can't get rid of the Demasoni, they are my favorite. Such good looking fish.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Most Mbuna are ready at 2.5-3", Demasoni smaller.

Healthy females = breeding. Females need to be healthy to grow the eggs. Poor water quality can hurt breeding. Good water quality leads to Old Newbie's dilemma. If females are stressed it doesn't help, maybe there are more males than females?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
noki said:

Healthy females = breeding. Females need to be healthy to grow the eggs. Poor water quality can hurt breeding. Good water quality leads to Old Newbie's dilemma. If females are stressed it doesn't help, maybe there are more males than females?
I have no idea whom is female in the tank.

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
noki said:

Maybe you don't have any females...I bought six, 1 inch Yellow labs thinking I could get 3 females...they were all males...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old Newbie said:
ironspider said:
noki said:

Maybe you don't have any females...I bought six, 1 inch Yellow labs thinking I could get 3 females...they were all males...
That's certainly possible. I bought all at around 1" unsexed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.