Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be making a double stand soon for guppy breeder (for feeder fry) and two Daphnia tanks. What sizes should I get? For the Guppies I was thinking either a 20g-long or a 20g-high, and for the daphnia I was thinking either a 20long with a divider making it separate tanks, two 10gals, or a 20long and a 5gal (for the daphnia I need the extra tank as a backup colony.

What do you guys think?

~Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Which would be a better size tank, a 20long or 20high for guppy breeding and fry raising?

With the Daphnia should I just get two 10gals?

~Ed

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
There's a guy in the local fish club that just has a bucket in his fish room that grows daphnia. I don't know if it normally requires special stuff, but you may try the bucket approach and save yourself some money!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn said:
or maybe use rubbermaids, a lot cheaper than tanks....
That's an excellent idea as well. I did some looking online after reading and posting in this thread initially. I guess if you have 2 liter soda bottles, they're excellent for daphnia, and you really only run into surface area issues above the 1 gallon mark. Milk jugs or 2 liter bottles would be the least expensive and easiest to store. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about buckets and stuff and decided that I'd like to see the Daphnia, see them grow, and maybe keep mystery snails in there or something to make it look better. I may use something smaller though like a 5.5gal or something instead...I haven't decided yet.

Thanks,
~Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts