Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions here. At what size will they start breeding? Second question, and I am thinking the answer may be no, is a 55g sufficient for 1M/3F group?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
4" males and females maybe 3"... they seem to be mature

Only 4 fish in a tank can be trouble. need at least some dither fish or maybe a meek Mbuna group.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sounds like great news guys. Could I also keep a breeding group 1M/3F of say, salousi or yellow labs (or something like that) in there as well then? If so, what would the chance of interbreeding be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I would go with yellow labs. I had a breeding trio of red empress in with 4 Elongatus Mpanga and the dominance of the male red empress prevented the male Elongatus from colouring up fully and looked like another female.
Yellow labs. and the red empress was a more peaceful tank.
About 4" as already stated by another, by this time the male will have a fair bit of colour and a deep blue face mask. Once they start breeding it doesn't stop..........Should be fun :thumb:
I love red empress probably my favorite fish, 55g should be just enough i have seen them about a foot long
They is almost zero risk them crossbreeding with any mbuna especially with labs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts