Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair that was showing breeding behaviour in a 30gal tank with some giant danios as dithers. Their striping is very vivid and were taking turns going into an upside down flower pot. However, now they have each chosen a hiding spot on opposite sides of the tank and they just sit there hiding all the time. Dont come out to eat, yet they still look good so they must be eating when I'm away from the tank. Theres no sign of illness or water issues. I'm used to Tangs so I dont think I'm doing anything wrong and that it must be a behaviour issue. They are 3-4 yrs old and are decent size.

Anyone know of some triggers to help them spawn? or does it sound like the pair-bond is broken? I'm at a loss with these and dont know anyone who has bred these (unless by accident)...

·
Registered
13 Posts
congrats on the possible spawn, but im sorry ill have to ask soometin offtopic, alot of my palls includin me are wonderin whats the difference betwin Female and Male of this nice cichlid, i just cant find online some shots or whats the thing we should check for our fish to c what are they!?
Can u maybe post pics of ur male and female?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly they have no differences that I can see other than overall size. Females are generally smaller by a little bit. My male seems to have a slightly thicker jaw area about the head but not very pronounced so could just be due to larger overall size of the male. My female seems a bit more aggressive than the male at times-but others have told me their male is the aggressor. I had a group of 6 for several years in a 55 gal with other mbuna until they started getting aggressive (but only deadly with their own kind) and they gradually started fighting and banishing one fish at a time to the upper corner of the tank until I had two left that would tolerate each other. They will get along fine as juvies for several years. They take a long time to mature - like 3+ years. THese guys can be mean - once they start picking on one, you need to remove it quickly as they have snail-crushing jaws.

Last night I noticed each of the pair had cleared a 4" round spot of sand down to the glass but whenever I'm near, they are hidden. Kinda making photos difficult!! But I'll keep trying! I get to meet Ad Konings tonight so maybe I can ask him...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts