Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125g tank and want a lone breeding pair. Wich would you all recommend based on tank size, color and personality?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I've never kept RD's... I had a Jag back in the day and I have a Red Tiger Mota (close relative) now... I also have a Trimac pair...

I won't say anything against either of the other choices... but I will say my Trimac pair have really impressed me. I'm very glad I choose them when I was making a similar decision...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
id go for one of the Amphilophus sp, mostly because i like the stockier look of them over the slender look of a jag.

i personally like Trimacs out of what you listed, they resemble the flowerhorns more :p

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Trimacs don't resemble FlowerHorns...

FlowerHorns resemble Trimacs...

;)

:p

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I vote jags they are my favorite cichlid :thumb:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Trimac - just so you can trade me some fry :lol: . Seriously, if you're going to devote a 125 to just 2 fish, I'd go for the Trimacs. Long term, I guess I'd just hope they didn't have a falling out. I guess there are always dividers.

2nd choice Midas. I haven't had any jags before, that is my next adventure after growing out my current batch of Midas.

Eric

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well moot point now my 125g just leaked all over my living room floor. :x :(

I'm bringing everything to the LFS and keeping my cutteri pair in my 20L.
Guess I'll have to wait for Glass Cages to come back around to get a new tank. :roll:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That's too bad. I think a trimac pair would have been nice. They seem pretty hard to find, all you ever see now is flowerhorns.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I get my new tank I will probably go with trimac's
What is a good size tank for a pair?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Which would be better... a 4x2x2 120 gal... or a 6x1.5x1.75 125 gal... but here's the catch, you have to explain why...

I have a both tanks set up now...

The 2' front to back gives the fish much more of a three dimensional life. I would have never guessed the difference it makes, until I owned one...

But if the pair get overly aggressive with each other the 6' length gives the fish the potential for more distance between them...

So both have their perks... neither is ideal... either would work...

Naturally the best of both worlds would be a 6x2x2 180 gal... I personally feel an 8x2x2 is worthy of more than just a pair, but now I’m getting off topic…

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah 6x2 is nice. Glass cages has a 125g wide that is 72"x24"17" that is going to be my next purchase. Best of both world foot print wise might have to do more water changes when full grown though. Only $330 dollars too.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have one of each. I like the 125 for two reasons. First it looks much more than 5 gallons bigger than the 120. Second, the fish seem to like it better, the 6 foot footprint seems to give more room for territory.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think a 6ft would look better but u have a feeling thats not what your asking about ;)

for breeding trimacs *** heard you might have to separate them so the 6fter would be easier to divide and leave the fish more room to swim in (3x18 compared to 2x2). the 6ft length would also allow the fish to get some quick "laps" back and forth compared to a 4fter.

so id say 6fter but it really depends on the type of fish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts