Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like every fish keeper after a while you flirt with the curiosity of breeding...
i am having that curiosity. lol somone please give me the FULL rundown on how to do this...
whats the best species?? im considering Mbuna and Labs...
size of tank?
how you "strip" the eggs..
do you have to remove the male?
i have no idea how to breed but i am REALLY considering it, have done some reading on and off but still more knowledge the better.
what are the pros and cons?? HELP!

thanks for reading and hope to hear some good stuff.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Once you have proper ratio groups, good water, and an appropriate size tank, the rest takes care of itself. The only hard part is catching the holding females!

Labs would be easy only because they're not so aggressive, and an extra male wouldn't be as big of a problem as some other species. The downside to them is there are some really poor strains around (I have a group of 4 examples of this in my tank!)

You will also need some small tanks for the fry with heaters, and sponge filters in the main tank to move in with the fry.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Deftones5 said:
like every fish keeper after a while you flirt with the curiosity of breeding...
i am having that curiosity. lol somone please give me the FULL rundown on how to do this...
whats the best species?? im considering Mbuna and Labs... .
Labs are mbuna - any mbuna are extremely easy to breed. If you stay away from the Highly and extremely aggressive species in the profiles section you will pretty much be guaranteed success if you buy a group of 8 or so young fish and keep the water quality high.

Deftones5 said:
size of tank?
4ft long - go 75 instead of 55 - the extra 50% depth really helps. You can breed in 36in long tank but it is far easier on you to have a larger tank. Craiglist is your friend :thumb:.

Deftones5 said:
how you "strip" the eggs...
Watch this

Deftones5 said:
do you have to remove the male?.
Either remove the female for her to spit in a holding tank or catch/strip/return her at about 21 days for most mbuna.

Deftones5 said:
i have no idea how to breed but i am REALLY considering it, have done some reading on and off but still more knowledge the better.
what are the pros and cons?? HELP! .
Cons - You need an extra tank or two to grow out the fry and someplace to sell/donate the fry in time. Odds are, you will not make money doing this, many people think they will pay for whatever by raising fry - few actually do.

Pros - Cool to see the whole process the first couple of times. Rewarding to know your fish are 'happy and healthy'.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:lol: i have only kept malawi's for about 6 months or so, have had 2 crops of yellow labs, a nice clutch of elongatus, and the strawberry peacock has just spit in the 75g.

you will wonder how to make them stop :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts