Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At around what size do firemouth cichlids start to pair up and breed? I have 6 in a 125 at around 3" and they seem more interested in chasing each other around the tank. Is there anything special I should do? They are the dominant fish in the tank with 5 small cuban cichlids and 6 silver dollars.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have 5 of them in a 40 long, also about 3 inches. I have my first wigglers right now. Time to rehome the other 3. I just made sure to keep my temp between 75 and 80 and change 25-40% of my water weekly and the fish did the rest.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have a feeling that the most dominant fish in the tank is causing the issue. He chases everyone else so much that when they do tail slap and lip-pock he just interrupts. I think I will remove him. He is not all that colorful anyways.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good luck with your breeding project. Just give it time and Im sure the fish will do the work for you.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Mine laid eggs twice at around 3-4". I had them in a tank that wasn't dedicated to them though, so nothing ever came of it, the eggs just disappeared over night, literally. I got rid of them a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you guys. It just seems like everyone can breed them so easily and I seem to be having a bit of trouble. Maybe I am just being inpatient. I added more decor to the tank so hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
rrcoolj said:
Thanks you guys. It just seems like everyone can breed them so easily and I seem to be having a bit of trouble. Maybe I am just being inpatient. I added more decor to the tank so hopefully that will help.
Just be patient, Im sure it'll work out for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts