Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I can't speak from the breeding aspect of Eureka reds, but I can give you some basic info. (I have a bossy male, no females.)

Your tank is understocked, but I guess you know this, since you're asking about something else to go in there! :thumb:

You could probably go with 2 or 3 other species. I would stay away from peacocks for the remainder of your stocking - due to the Eureka male's potential aggression level, as well as the probability of crossbreeding. Haps would give you more dull drab females, and I don't think I would want that.

How about a nice sized breeding group of Cynotilapia White Top Galireya and a group of Yellow labs (if you're removing the perlmutts)?

That would give you great colour combo, and a good chance of long term success with your stocking.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You could anticipate breeding when the females are around 2.5 inches, males around 3 - 3.5. I can't imagine how aggressive the males can get when preparing to breed! My guy is bad enough without any females!

The White Tops aren't the only Cynotilapia you could go with, but they do have the nicest females in the Cynotilapia group, which is a big plus for me when I'm setting up a tank. I suggested them because you already have the drab female peacocks, and it's easy to get bored with a tank full of drab females.

I'd shoot for 10 total yellow labs, and about 6-7 Cynotilapia.

Oh, and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, but we can let you pull out the futon! :lol:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.