Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

1. I would like to hear the experience of those who have Eureka's or knowledgable of their overall behaviour when ready or interested to spawn. The dominant male just chases away the females when they get too close to him.

120 Gallon
2 male peacock - 3.5 - 4"
4 females (medium), and 3 smaller females - the larger females come from a breeding tank where some of them in that tank had "held" before. Not sure if these ones did before.
Good enough size to breed.
(3) 3/4" Perlmutt troublemakers lol

- Dominant male is fully coloured. The next male has all the colour hues on the down low.
- The Labs will go in a 30G in the next couple of weeks.

2. Also, I feed them the extra tiny NLS sinking pellets and Tetra Fin Sticks.
Are the pellets alone ok, or should I give them both (pellets + stick), as that is what they were fed originally by the breeder?

3. At what temperature do you keep your Eureka's and what is the best temp to get them in the spawning mood?

4. How often should I give them a cool WC to get their drive reved up?

5. I have removed the heater as the thermo. reads 75 - 78 degrees F - depends on how hot the day is. Is this ok? Tested the thermo. in warmer water and it's working. Water is cool.

6. What other colourful cichlid would you recommend to house with them + the total amount of stock ? 9 peacocks + (may leave the 3 Labs in tank).

Any other tips or general experience with Eureka's would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I can't speak from the breeding aspect of Eureka reds, but I can give you some basic info. (I have a bossy male, no females.)

Your tank is understocked, but I guess you know this, since you're asking about something else to go in there! :thumb:

You could probably go with 2 or 3 other species. I would stay away from peacocks for the remainder of your stocking - due to the Eureka male's potential aggression level, as well as the probability of crossbreeding. Haps would give you more dull drab females, and I don't think I would want that.

How about a nice sized breeding group of Cynotilapia White Top Galireya and a group of Yellow labs (if you're removing the perlmutts)?

That would give you great colour combo, and a good chance of long term success with your stocking.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cichlidaholic said:
You could probably go with 2 or 3 other species. I would stay away from peacocks for the remainder of your stocking - due to the Eureka male's potential aggression level, as well as the probability of crossbreeding. Haps would give you more dull drab females, and I don't think I would want that.

How about a nice sized breeding group of Cynotilapia White Top Galireya and a group of Yellow labs (if you're removing the perlmutts)?

That would give you great colour combo, and a good chance of long term success with your stocking.
Cichlidaholic,

I took a look @ the White Tops - are the Galireya's the only Cyno. I can add to the tank (for colour)?

I have 9 Peacocks so far (2) 3- 4' males, suspect 1 of the 7 female is a male).
How many Cyno's + 3 labs should I add - would like to try to breed Peacocks first? What size required to breed?

Might have to rent a room @ your house with all the info you have provided :lol:

Thank you!

The Pearlmutts (3) 1' juves. will be transfered to 30G in the near future.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You could anticipate breeding when the females are around 2.5 inches, males around 3 - 3.5. I can't imagine how aggressive the males can get when preparing to breed! My guy is bad enough without any females!

The White Tops aren't the only Cynotilapia you could go with, but they do have the nicest females in the Cynotilapia group, which is a big plus for me when I'm setting up a tank. I suggested them because you already have the drab female peacocks, and it's easy to get bored with a tank full of drab females.

I'd shoot for 10 total yellow labs, and about 6-7 Cynotilapia.

Oh, and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, but we can let you pull out the futon! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts