Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here goes. I have a pair of electric yellow's in a 29 gallon tank. They share this tank with 2 plecos, and a pair of Eureka Red Cichlids. My electric yellows have bred already, but I was unable to save any babies. I was wondering if adding another female or two would ruin the balance, as I had the babies only 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
adding females would be a good idea. once the male breeds and the single female has a mouth full of eggs he'll still go after her causing the possible lose of the eggs/fry, stress, and even death.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
That's a lot of fish in a 30" tank. I'd remove the eurekas (too big for a 30" tank anyway) and add labs.

You need a separate tank to raise fry, the adults will eat them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
DJRansome said:
That's a lot of fish in a 30" tank. I'd remove the eurekas (too big for a 30" tank anyway) and add labs.

You need a separate tank to raise fry, the adults will eat them.
+1
Remove the Eureka's and add 2 more female Labs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. And how big do the Eureka's get? I am just starting to keep cichlids, so a bit inexperianced. I cant get rid of the Eureka's yet, but I will as soon as I find a home for them. I am also going to get a 75 gallon tank or so, when I move to a new house that we are going to start building right away.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Eureka's are 7" fish and would work well in a 75G but I would not go any smaller.

For a 30" tank you want fish that mature at half that size.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I think I will get ridd of my Eureka's as soon as I can. From my understanding, the Electric yellows get 3-4 inches, correct me if I am wrong. And what kind of beautiful fish could I get in a 75 gallon with the Electric yellows? I am going to keep my 29 gallon for raising the fry, and I am going to get a tank divider and keep Ram Cichlids on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Your rams and African fry will need two different sets of water parameters...rams like a softer pH. Also I think each would enjoy having that entire tank for themselves, picture 20 mbuna fry that are 1.5" in that tank, LOL.

Check out the cookie cutter tanks in the Library Quick Reference section for ideas on stocking a 75G with yellow labs and others.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol. Thanks. Could 2 rams do well in a 10 gallon tank? 2 or 3 is all I would get. And is it hard to breed them? And what about sexing them?

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you want to save some fry from the next batch, with less headaches, let her hold for 3 weeks then strip her. The fry will be free swimming at that time so you dont have to have an egg tumbler and will take food like hikari first bites for about 2 weeks before weaning them onto a larger food like crushed flake food. Works well for me & the 40 Lab fry (total, from 3 spawns) I have right now. I use two fry baskets, one for the fry & one for the mother for 3-4 days so she can eat & get some strength back before releasing at night back into the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Cichlid-Lover-45 said:
I don't want to tear my whole tank apart.
Oops, they maybe you also don't want to save the fry. That's what many/most of us do. :lol:

·
Registered
256 Posts
DJRansome said:
Cichlid-Lover-45 said:
I don't want to tear my whole tank apart.
Oops, they maybe you also don't want to save the fry. That's what many/most of us do. :lol:
Unless you an get traps to work, unfortunately it usually omes down to tearing the tank apart. Thats why we put the breeders in seperate tanks without all the goodies. It really all depends on what you plan to do with the fry. But hey sometimes the tank just needs a good cleaning anyway. :) Grats and good luck. You will get the hang of it and decide what works best for you.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's said that its easier to catch her at night. I dont see how, when the net spooks her, its harder to follow her with the net in the dark with a flashlight in your mouth while moving rocks around to figure out where she went.

Once you catch her, striping is easy. I hold her head down over the fry cage and gently pry her mouth open with my finger nail. With the mouth open, dip her head into the water and wait and the fry start popping out. It'll take a few dips before they're all out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much. My electric yellow is definatly holding. I looked at her last night, and she has a huge throat!!! Wish me luck! :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Wait a week before you catch her.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
should I put her in a 10 gallon? Or should I wait a bit and then strip the fry and put them in a 10 gallon. My female has, nor is, been bullied. All her fins are grown out and stuff, so can I just put her right back in the tank again? She seems okay to me. And what (other then brine shimp) should I feed the fry? I hear crushed flake is good, but should I mix it with water so it sinks?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts