Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a water change last night, and this morning I woke up to my male dempsey doing some odd behaviors. If my female gt would get close to my jd, the jd would shake his head back and forth, then rub his dorsal and anal fins around on his tail. He would also shake his entire body, then rub up on my driftwood and this went on for about 5 minutes. My jd proceded to chase my gt around the tank.
I checked my water as I thought my fish were poisoned and the results are spot on perfect. Ammonia was 0, nitrites and nitrates were also at 0. It seems weird that only one fish is acting crazy.
Thank you guys/gals.

·
Registered
406 Posts
He's trying to spawn with the female GT. I find the clean water especially if the water is a little cooler after a water change spurs on spawning behavior. I would keep an eye on the tank if the GT doesn't pair with him, he may get very aggressive and hurt the GT/

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I did a cool water top off when I did the water change, and I hope the gt accepts. My dempsey is double her size.
Thanks, oh and what is "flashing?"

·
Registered
406 Posts
Flashing is when a fish rubs itself against something almost like they're scratching an itch. Basically what you described your JD doing. Fish tend to do it after water changes and when spawning. If they do it all the time, its a sign of ich, and you'll need to watch out for white spots on the fish.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, than you for your help. One last question: any idea why fish flash after water changes?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi sirnewb,

Although I am not positive, I believe fish will tend to flash after water changes due to a brief irritation from the new water. Most tap water has ammonia and other toxins, although we treat our tap water with water treatment, I believe there is a brief period of time where the toxins might bother the fish. Therefore, they may do a bit of flashing (itching their gills) because of the slight irritation from the new water. Once the water levels stabilize the fish should stop flashing.

I guess this is just speculation, so take it for what it is worth.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The water change flashing in my mind is kinda like turning your ac on and taking a hot shower. When you get out of the bathroom(if door is closed) the change in temp/humidity causes pores to close, you want to get warm. I think its similar to this but with fish and changes in water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts