Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon with about 20 crynotilapia afra cobues.One of my females is currently mouth brooding and has been for more than three weeks.Today I put her in a breeder trap because I belief the others will eat the fry.Would it be better it I establish another tank to keep her in with the fry instead.Please comment.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
Yes a fry tank would be better for an adult fish than a breeder net.

Once she spits the fry you would remove her from the fry tank as well, else she will eat them.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Pull her from the breeder net and leave the fry in there alone until you can get the breeder tank to cycle. You may need to "strip" any extra fry from her mouth, or she won't eat. You'll need a filter that won't suck up fry, like a sponge filter. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since my first question I set up a ten gallon using the water and gravel from my 75 gallon.I had the female in the 10 gallon and she released three of the fry,so I went ahead and strip the other 17. The fry are doing well eating crushed brine shrimp and crushed flakes.The female is back in the 75 gallon and she is eating again.The fry is in still in the breeder trap but in the 10 gallon.I am glad I waited for the fry to come to full term before stripping them.Thanks to everyone who replied.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone has any advice on raising the fry would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just feed em 3 times a day n change water every other day n they grow like weeds!

I feedfrozen baby brine shrimp n hikari 1st bites.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I release the fry into the 10 gallon from the breeder trap.The breeder trap is in the 10 gallon tank.The fry don't have the yolk sack.I think it is easier to feed them in the trap. Please advice.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
I like the breeder net for the first 7 days until I see them eating. Then I release them.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Mine seem to find the food just fine in the 10, bigger fry already greet me at the opening food goes into in the 75 grow out tank!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My fry seem to be doing quite well in the 10 gallon.I purchased some baby shrimp and some fry first bites powder food and the fry are loving it. Also doing water changes every other day.Thanks guys awesome I am loving it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 20 fry are doing well they have been in a 10 gallon tank for about a month now.I was wondering when will I be able to put them in the 75 gallon tank with the other cobues.Or should I buy a larger tank for them.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I wait until they're at least an inch, of course you also have to take into account what else is in the tank they're going into. Just the other afra's? If they're big enough to not be eaten in a single bite, then they're big enough to evade larger fish as well as not fit in someone's mouth, in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yet another female from my cobue 75g tank holding eggs. I still have fry from another female from four week ago in a ten gallon.My question is should I put the holding female in the ten gallon in about three weeks if the previous fry are now big enough to go in the 75 gallon. I do have a breeder trap i can put her in until spits the fry.Please advise.Thanks for responding in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
If you are going to raise all batches of fry, you will need at least three fry tanks. And if you don't also want a bunch more maternity tanks, maybe leave females in the tank until day 18 and then strip them and return.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't believe this I have a third batch of Fry on the way.I already have two 10 gallons going one with juvenile cobues and another female about to spit.My crynotilapia afra cobue 75 gallon tank is becoming a crazy breeding ground.Should I get tank dividers for the ten gallons.Or will the fry be fine together?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts