Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1873 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so many posts about the Bolivian Rams lately, I thought it would be fun to see how members there are in this club :) Just check in here if you now own them and tell us about yours, how many, setup, spawning..etc.

I got my first pair about a year ago. The LFS guy sold me a pair..but he did tell me that the female was a trade in and he didn't know how old she was. She was full size and look ok..so I bought her..along with a male from younger stock. They did try to spawn.. but with me making major changes in my stock and tanks..they never had the chance because they were moved a few times. Well, after keeping her for a year..she did show signs of being old and died about 2 months ago. Last week I ran on to some very nice size juvies. I bought 4 and put them into my 75g with my lone male. They all seem happy as a lark and I hope to maybe endup with two pair. Great little fish indeed!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have 5 in my South American tank

I got them 4 days ago and they're definately feeling their oats. They've claimed their places in the tank and even chase off the much larger jurupari in there with them. They're awesome little fish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had 3 for about 2 weeks now, in a 20 gallon at work with a couple of neons & white clouds. I've gotten some help from Blairo and Dutch Dude in sexing 2 of them. Still trying to get a decent picture of #3 for them to look at. Then I'll take one home to another tank and leave the remaining 2 do their thing. They are very interesting little fish and so much fun to watch their behavior. They aren't fully adult yet - about 2 inches, but they're getting plumper with more color every day. It's been many years since I've kept and bred any cichlids, and these have been a great reintroduction to cichlids. Nice to have some fish with their own unique personalities again! I'm hooked on the Bolivians now!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here is my hot Bolivian Mama! I pulled a large spawn ages ago, I'm down to my last 50 or so out of 250+ fishies. I have had so many tanks with Bolivians I'm not even going to mention them!

Cathy
PS> You think Mama is hot, you ought to see Papa. (Just can't get a good pic right now!)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Don't have any, but you are making me want some.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice "Hot Mama" Cathy :lol: With that many Bolivian's ...you get first prize for how many someone owns!

spqrzilla....if ya have a Petsmart near ya..I'd check with them.

Thanks tmack!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Haven't seen any Bolivians in the local Petsmart to date.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, thought I'd add to this. Hard to get rams to stay stillso apologies for the blurring. Nice fish everyone!

My male and female pair, still as of yet to breed in a 28 UK gallon (33 US).

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Hahaha,...well,...a good initiative and especially becouse there are so many questions lately abouth the Bolivian ram,...Microgeophagus Altispinosa.

I have had tanks in the past when I was a boy. After years without fish I decided to start a small 25 gallon tank. That tank was converted into a paludarium (half water and half land and a combination between aquarium and terrarium). After abouth 6 years I switched back to a fish tank. I reed a lot of books and was planing on some small tetras corydoras. I ran into some "Ram" like fish and at first site they had my attention. They came and greet me in the shop and I was amazed by their behavior. Such a shame they were so boring in collors. The LFS owner assured me that I would love the fish and they would grow out to gorgeous peaceful fish. That was 7 years ago and still 2 of the 7 I bought then are still alive! I don't think they will get much older tough. I originally bought 8 but one died in the first week. I kept the 7 Bolivians in a 35 gallon densely planted tank for more than 5 years together with some Otocinclus and Gouramis. Abouth 2 years ago I set-up a new tank and the Bolivians switched over to the 90 gallon (same tank as in profile). Abouth an half a year ago I ran into some youngsters and instantly I bought 8 of them. They are still in my tank but unfortunately they have all deformity's. I bought some Asian farm breed fish. Soon they will get a new home (tank in a resthome) and they provided me with abouth 80 youngsters that are good quality and not raised in medications and hormones. I bet they will live longer than the Asian farm fish! I'm planning 2 new tanks and one of them will be a 45 gallon and I will add abouth 7 from my best selected youngsters in there together with some Loricara and Oto's.

To all a warning,......be careful with the Asian farm fish,...mostly bad quality and if you can get a hold on fish from a local breeder that would be a much better choice!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I picked mine up 2 weeks ago when i decided to get back into tropical fish after "inheriting" a tank from some roommates. Definitely the most fun fish i can remember having, I'm setting up a larger tank soon so that I can shoal them. Great fish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dutch Dude - tell us about the deformities. I know some of us got ours recently at a chain LFS called Petsmart, and they may very well be Asian farm fish. As you may remember, mine are still young - about 2 inches ( 5cm), and I don't see any sign of deformities yet. What do we need to look out for?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Mostly the deformities are in the spine. The result is a bend of the body sideways but mostly a round back or high bodied fish. Some of mine do stay to small and my old male is still the bigest Bolivian in the tank. My dominant young male has a strange shape of the head and has a nose like he hit the glass to hard :lol: See for you're self.......warning,...its a bad pic!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Oooh,.....and the reason for the deformities is that the Asian farm fish swim in a lot of medications to reduce illness and lost of fish and the fish will get a lot of hormones to grow faster and mature faster (more color) so they can be sold quicker. In a natural breed it will last at least 4 to 5 months before the fish can be sold to a lfs.

Ruurd

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well my pair are great, male has some great filaments, female has good color. They live with a pair of threadfin rainbows, 4 neons, 3 cory sterbai, and 4 zebra danios. Very peaceful planted 20 g in my living room. The rams and corys are on the bottom, the neons in the middle, and threadfins/danios are everywhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello, All!! :)

I got 2 Bolivian Rams in mid February, and found out, with help from Blairo and otheres, that they were male and female :D ,
but the female had a deformity. :( (they came from a Singapore farm)

This is the female. There is something wrong with her lips and head shape.

The LFS, where I bought her, told me that they will exchange her, when they get new rams, but, I've decided to keep her,
since I'm pretty sure she's not going to have a future, if I return her to the LFS.
I've decided to name her "Lips" :D :) :D

AND..., day before yesterday, I got 4 more, 3 femals and 1 male from a different LFS :D :D :D
(they are still in quarantine, and they also seem to be from Sinapore).
I hope I got the male and females correct.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
At first, I was only going to get 3 females, one to be a pair with my male, and the other two to keep Lips company,
...but... fell in love with another Bolivian Ram male... :oops:

I will probably split them into 2 or 3 tanks (this will depend on how many pairs I get -- 1 or 2--
and, on how the other females, without a male, will feel about sharing a tank with a pair/pairs).

Oh....Bolivian Rams are addictive.... :roll: :D :D :D :roll:

1 - 20 of 1873 Posts