Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon with 2 auratus, 3 jewel, 1 electric yellow and 1 red zebra. I was considering putting in some Brazilian Pennywort because my female auratus is holding eggs and thought that a small plant planted in her "territory" would provide good coverage for the fry once released. Has anyone had any issues, or any tips on Brazilian Pennywort? Thanks =))

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know because they're all cichlid's you think they'd be more inclined to be aggressive. My jewels school up and stick together and don't mess with anyone. My male auratus is pretty laid back along with my electric yellow. They tend to really keep to their own territories and the female auratus really fends off her little hiding place at the moment. But they're all pretty chilled lol. Thanks for the concern though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
How long have you had the tank set up? You could also set up a fry tank and strip her at about 18 days if you want the fry to survive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just set up our new tank two days ago. We've had the female auratus for about two years. We just now introduced the male auratus and others, on the 12th so it didn't take long for him to knock her up, bahahaha. I've been watching the fish in their new tank very very closely, so closely that I sit on the floor and watch them for like 15-20 minutes at a time (I know, I get bored!) As for the fry surviving, this is her first time holding so I'm not really worried about them surviving and as heartless as it may sound, I don't really care. I didn't intend for them to mate, hence the one of each different species (we got the three jewels because they are quite a bit smaller than our other four and hoped they would school up to avoid being picked on which is exactly what happened, thankfully!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Our female auratus hides in the sphynx, the male auratus and the red zebra share the pots, the jewels keep to the plants and the electric yellow stays in the skull (bottom right)

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
If your fish are getting along ok I'd leave everything as is. You are extremely lucky that your male auratus is not trying to kill the female in such a small tank. Since your tank is very new, it's quite likely that things may change (for the worse). Sometimes it takes a few months before aggression heats up. If this happens, you should consider a 75 gallon or larger tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, our female is actually the aggressive one. She has killed another female that we had, and she actually chases him around and nips on his fins. Well, she did before she started holding, but she does still chase him around. Our female is a little bigger than him too though. She is def. the most aggressive fish we have.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Kanorin said:
If your fish are getting along ok I'd leave everything as is. You are extremely lucky that your male auratus is not trying to kill the female in such a small tank. Since your tank is very new, it's quite likely that things may change (for the worse). Sometimes it takes a few months before aggression heats up. If this happens, you should consider a 75 gallon or larger tank.
This is what I was getting at. Research all of your stock individually, and you will probably come to the same conclusion that they (especially the Auratus's) are not best suited for a 30" tank, or vice versa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we DID have a 15 gallon tank with just the two auratus. So, even though ya'll may not seem to think that they would like it... it's a big upgrade for them lol. Our friend breeds convicts and other cichlids and actually said that we could put up to 12 in our tank. He said that he has had better luck with more in a tank because they are less likely to bully which is why, in pet stores, you don't see them being aggressive. This is a hobby, I was wondering about the Brazilian Pennywort, no offence but I wasn't expecting to be lectured on the size of my tank. If any of my fish seemed too aggressive I would give them away or seperate them. The only reason why my female auratus killed the other female was because we weren't able to seperate them in time and it happened over night.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm confused: you came to a site all about keeping the type of fish you have, you provided your tank set up when asking for advice (for a reason I assume), but you do not actually want information? No one here has lectured you prior to this post, everyone responded in a relatively tame and polite matter given how out of balance your setup is.

Brazilian pennywort will work perfectly fine for your tank, so well that it can be disregarded as an issue freeing you up to move on to bigger problems. Do you feel better now about moving on to your tenuous and short-sighted stocking plan? I understand that this is a hobby but your fish are living creatures, the advice your getting is not coming from the ego of uptight fishnerds but concern among people who generally empathize with fish. Your friend is unfamiliar with the species of fish you're keeping. Convicts may have taught them a lot but Malawi Cichlids are a whole different bag of potatoes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
no offence but I wasn't expecting to be lectured on the size of my tank. If any of my fish seemed too aggressive I would give them away or seperate them.
I don't think anyone is trying to lecture you. They are just sharing their knowledge and experience with you.
The only reason why my female auratus killed the other female was because we weren't able to seperate them in time and it happened over night
This is what the others are referring to. An Auratus(and a few other species) has the potential to destroy and kill everything in a tank before you even get the chance to do anything about it. Especially in a tank of your size. So others are just simply giving you a heads up and letting you know to keep an eye out for the first signs of aggression.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Nothing wrong with enjoying it while it lasts, and OP now knows what to look out for. :thumb:

Most mbuna are terrors on plants (being herbivore/omnivores), but if the penneywort can tolerate the high pH and you don't mind it being a meal, try it.

My mbuna eat even java fern. Others have success with plants in mbuna tanks in spite of some nibbling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JcarrVT said:
I'm confused: you came to a site all about keeping the type of fish you have, you provided your tank set up when asking for advice (for a reason I assume), but you do not actually want information? No one here has lectured you prior to this post, everyone responded in a relatively tame and polite matter given how out of balance your setup is.
First of all,I was asking about how the cichlids would react to the plant. Cichlids by natures are ALL aggressive, I know this. I've had a lot of different species from South American, African, and even American. Out of the two Auratus I have, the female is aggressive NOT the male. She was one of my first fish out of my set up hence why she is aggressive but now that she is holding eggs she just chases fish from her little sphynx. She will be the dominate fish in the tank and that's okay. It's not like I put a whole **** load of fish together and hope that they fight and kill eachother off. I feel bad if one of them dies. And actually the thing I was told to look out for was the Jewels because they get quite a bit bigger than the Auratus and are supposed to be more aggressive which, mine at the moment, are a lot smaller than my Auratus and school together and keep to themselves. But thanks, and you do sound like an uptight fishnerd btw ;)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yes, this is a good way to make friends here - insult people who are trying to help you. "Uptight fishnerd"? Are we in second grade again?

The advice you're getting is 100% spot on - eventually, that male auratus will - WILL - kill most of the other fish in your tank. The jewels, if you get a pair, will - WILL - do the same. It's not really an if when you have auratus and/or jewels in a 30" tank.

"Feeling bad" when a fish dies is extremely hypocritical when you're the one who caused it with your refusal to give them a proper habitat and set up to absolutely minimize the risk of them killing one another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, if you had actually read all the posts, I was quoting JcarrVT with the uptight fishnerd. I'm not here to make friends, I was here to get ADVICE on a plant for my fish. Not my fish themselves, or how I've endangered their ever so fragile lives. I don't believe you are right, our male gets picked on by the other fish. You can't base his temperment on all others. To each fish his own. How do you think they are in the wild? All species in the same lake. I mean common you guys, lets segregate fish whom, in the wild, all live together? If & when they start becoming too aggressive, I will seperate them into another tank. BUT for right now, they aren't so chill you guys. Jewels have gotten a bad rep for being aggressive not really deserving it, and SELDOM fight with fish outside of their own species especially ones that get larger than 4".

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't believe you are right, our male gets picked on by the other fish.
The whole problem with your argument is that your tank has not been set up nearly long enough to show the true aggression of the fish. The female is picking on the others because, like you said, she has been in the tank and you just introduced the other fish. In 2 days, the fish haven't even settled in.

To each fish his own. How do you think they are in the wild? All species in the same lake.
Exactly. A LAKE. not a 30" tank. Were not saying that you crammed to many fish in your tank, were saying that your choice of fish have a very low chance of success. The male auratus has been proven to be highly aggressive towards others, and since you don't have any where near enough females and nowhere for stressed fish to hide, you will end up with one fish left eventually. The male auratus. You might have time to remove the dieing/beat up fish and you might not.

I'm speaking from experience because I've tried to cram 2 kenyi and 2 greshakei in a 30g. My male Greshakei destroyed everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even in our old aquarium the male was still picked on. There are several places for our fish to hide. We bought the decor for the amount that we could spend but will be adding more for extra hiding spaces. What would you recommend to add? Our Auratus male likes the pots, our female likes the small sphynx. Our red zebra likes the skull and our Jewels like the plants or just being in the open. Would you also recommend putting in more females with him? I mean, I don't want to over crowd the tank. We had to remove our electric yellow, it's not doing well (we bought her Saturday).

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are several places for our fish to hide.
I was referring to horizontal distance, not the number of "hiding spots" in the tank.

Would you also recommend putting in more females with him?
No, because there just isn't enough space in that tank. A setup for auratus thats recommended is a 6ft tank with 1 male for every 7-8 females.

What would you recommend to add?
Pseudotropheus Saulosi would probably be the only species from lake malawi I can think of that might do ok in a 29 gallon. If you were set on keeping africans, cichlids from lake Tanganyika would probably do much better due to their small size. Not really familiar with new world species but probably some that would do ok. Someone will probably chime in with more recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I think we have answered the original question about pennywort and we will leave it to OP to start a new topic if additional stocking advice is desired.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.