Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with a plastic bulkhead fitting continuing to crack and leak. I have a guy who can machine me one out of brass, does anyone see a problem with that? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The main problem is see is that there has to be a reason for a plastic bulkhead fitting to crack. Lacking any further info, one might suspect that you could be over-tightening it. If you do the same with a brass bulkhead fitting, it will be your tank that cracks.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'd agree with Frank and determine the reason. Could also be too much stress from a hose or pipe that's connected to it. Better the fitting crack than the tank. Got a pic of it and any connecting piping?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I would agree about the overtightening but in this case the fitting didn't start leaking for 35 days. I believe it is cracking because of the vibration caused by the piping it is connected to. It's piped into a recirc pump and into the ugj. Any problem with the brass itself? doesn't seem any different than the copper pipe in your house and we draw water from that for tank water.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
oilen said:
I believe it is cracking because of the vibration caused by the piping it is connected to. It's piped into a recirc pump and into the ugj.
Ah, now we are getting somewhere! The vibration must be caused by the pump. If you don't address this problem, and just make the bulkhead stronger, it will be your tank that cracks next!

Is the pump connected to the bulkhead via hard pipe all the way? If so, use a flexible hose, eg a clear PVC hose like you can get at the hardware store, to make the connection. A flexible hose will not transmit the vibration to the bulkhead, and your problem is solved.

A regular plastic bulkhead should then be able to do the job just fine, but if you still want to use a brass bulk head, I have no objections. I don't think it will be toxic for the fish. But if you just replace the bulkhead and don't address the vibration problem, you have a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I also gotta believe that vibration would drive the fish crazy. I also suggest changing out to flexible hose of some sort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I will move forward with a flexible connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts