Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been discussed a lot as to how brasiliensis are great parents, pair up easy but also cat get viscious with others. All this being spot on in my case. I have a new wierd situaition that i am not aware off. I am wondering if some experts in the forum and hel me out as i am new to dealing with any kind of breeding.

The mom (i think, the slightly bigger one) has suddenly started guarding the new bord **** all by herself. the babies came out about 10 days ago and are doing well. I feed them brine shimp (hatched) babies. for some reason today when i came home the male or female i am not sure was missing in the tankt and i noticed it was hiding in a corner.

2 questions
1. Can i leave the mom or dad i dont even know but lets say the one thats with the babies now, alone with the babies until the **** grow big??
2. If i move the hidingin (male or femaile) out of the tank to my community tank will they pair again when i move the second one also??

Appreciate all the help. this whole situation has been exciting but i also feel i have made a mess

P.S: this breeding happening while i was in the process of upgrading my community tank from a 46g to a 90g. so i moved all the other fishes such as angels and rainbows and left the babies and parents in the 46g tank

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Oh my... looks like the male has taken over custody of the babies. And, in a smaller tank like the 46G, the female is now in serious danger of getting mauled/killed by the male in there. For her safety, I would pull her out as soon as possible. The male will have no problem in taking care of the babies.
When the babies have been successfully grown out a bit and removed, you can wait a few days then introduce the female back into the aquarium with the male. Long term though, you might want to consider a longer/bigger aquarium to keep them together in, plus also stock the tank with a school of tough, very fast dither fish.
Those other non-cichlid 'dither' fish in the larger tank will help to distract the male, and (hopefully) keep him from turning on and attacking your female again. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Auballagh
yes i have removed the female already and have moved her to the 90g. Once the babies are grown i will move the male to the 90g as well.

currently in the 90g i have:
- 3 brasiellensis - 1 male and 2 females (including the mom that i just moved)
- 3 baby clown loaches (once the grow big iam planning on moving them to a 125 may a year 2 down the line)
- coupla corys
- 3 angels (full grown)
- 1 gold severum (half grown)

its fairly loaded so should be fine when i move the male in i am assuming? iam flexible. when it gets crowded ill trade a few in. i also have another 110g if i need to siffle them around

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Looks like a good plan to me. :thumb:
Heck man, maybe you'll even wind up with a little spending cash outta selling the Pearl Eartheater babies? :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the plan. Here in vancouver, Candada you dont get a lot of geos in LFS. so yes i am hoping so retain a few that get along and sell the rest.
Is there a chance the parents will get along again in the new tank?

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Those crazy kids should get along just fine in the 90G - at least initially. Who knows, later on your male may decide to pair off and spawn with the OTHER Pearl Geo! :roll:
When you start moving everyone around, you will definitely need to keep a close eye on things. I'm glad you have the 110 and that 46G to cross-load and do 'social experiments' with. As you've already personally seen with spawning New World cichlids... things can get gnarly in an aquarium, very fast. :oops:
Looks like you (and the mauled female Pearl Geo) have a well-deserved break coming up in the action. That is, for awhile at least. And for you and the now unattached male, taking care of the baby Pearl Geo's should be pretty entertaining. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya i cant wait to pick 6 freindly ones, hopefully some pairs and see them grow in the 90g. i noticed a more docile male is now taking over the 90g since the more dominant male has been with his babies. im curious to see how things will turn out in terms of hieracrhy once i reintroduce the male into the tank again lets see.

btw do i need to leave the male until the babies are grown to a good size or now that the babies are starting to scatter all over the tank, its time to separate them from the male? should i ever be bothered of the male swallowing the babies at some point is my quesiton.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
If it looks like the babies are pretty much foraging for themselves and taking care of things, it might just be time to pull the male outta there. He'll probably behave himself, but you never know and the babies just might start 'disappearing' on you in there one by one. :(
Definitely keep an eye on things when you reintroduce the male back into the mix. That four foot long tank seems a lot bigger than the 46G - and it is! But, in the aggressive, G. brasiliensis world - your 90G won't give beaten fish much room to escape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes sense. Ya ill probably move him out in a day or 2. The babies are definitely at a point where they are even breaking big brineshrimps in pieces and eating them. Ofcourse, these are small brine shrimps (frozen dried). One thing i see the dad do is, he keeps the school together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts