Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Could be that the tank wasn't fully cycled--also if you didn't aclimate the fish to your tank the sudden change in water parameters would have stressed them further. Its also possible that the fish already had something when you got them.

What kind of a test kit are you using? The paper strip kind or the test tube type? Is it a relatively new test kit?

After about a 25% water change i checked my nitrates and was suprised to see it at 0.
I'd double check you tests. In a cycled tank you'll always have some kind of nitrate reading.

Robin

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
so even if the tank wasnt fully cycled that shouldnt matter right?
Yes it does matter and when you're adding new fish who are already stressed even a small problem with the water can cause big problems.

While you were cycling the tank did you test it daily or every other day and see that the ammonia spiked and then the nitrite? You mention a 0 reading for nitrAte and that doesn't make sense since in a cycled tank you will always have some kind of a nitrate reading. So I'm just raising the question as to whether the tank was in fact cycled.

A PH of 6.0 is way too low but before you do anything to buffer do some tests on your tap water. We should determine if the water is starting out with a low ph or if something in your tank is dragging it down. Test a sample of your tap water after its been sitting for overnight.
Have you done anything to raise the PH so far?

The problem with their eyes and fins is most likely due to water quality.

Robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.