Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forums here but I've been lurking for weeks gathering information.

So far I have setup my 65 Gallon corner aquarium and am currently cycling it. It's been doing so for a few weeks now and when it's completed I intend to stock up! Not in a rush to do so.

this isnt my tank exactly but just to give you an idea.
https://us.letgo.com/en/i/65-gallon-cor ... 24d85450a2

I have been watching hundreds of videos and been reading non-stop. I am completely obsessed. I have never kept African cichlids before but intend to do my very best to do things with as few mistakes possible.

I have fallen in love with a couple species, but unfortunately are not good fits for such a small tank. I have fought with a few ideas, and ultimately am at the mercy of what my LFS have in stock. I have narrowed it down to three stocking ideas but wanted some advice before I pulled the trigger on buying them. I am looking for stocking #'s and species specific please =)

1st idea: I love peacocks and haps, very colourful and peaceful looking fish. I was thinking of doing an 'overstock' of males. various species including some OB's (sorry to the purest I think they are beautiful)

2nd idea: Again with the peacocks, perhaps a mix of 1 or 2 species. males and females. (i have a few other tanks 10,20,40 laying around in case of fry)

3rd idea: shellies or shell dwellers. I stumbled onto these last night and haven't done a ton of research yet. But they look really cool! i've read you can keep a fish that primarily swims near the top along with them? would a peacock or hap work or would they bug the shellies too much?

I feel like I am at the mercy of the tanks dimensions. It's bigger than any I've had in the past, and I liked the idea of having it in the corner. But it has limited me to being able to keep medium to large African cichlids. What would you do with this tank? Ideas please! I will post an updated pic later once I buy a light for the tank.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think the shellies would be a good choice; not enough space for much else.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank along the back 2 sides? The measurement across the front is not helpful.

Old Newbie is probably right...for peacocks and haps you want a 48" long rectangle.

For the top you might consider a group of small non-cichlids like harlequin rasbora.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The back two sides in inches are 27.5L x 23H.

I've been told perhaps shellies even may not like such a deep tank? but cant find much besides personal preference being a shallow tank.

I've still got time before stocking? any ideas that will work? I like fish with personality, and got the 65g to keep bigger fish. Who would have thought dimensions mattered too? *cringe*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts