Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this new 40 breeder Marineland tank and I noticed that the front panel bows out a bit when full. It goes back to square when I drain 50% for a water change.

Is this normal? I'm absolutely terrified that the tank may fail.

Tank is level front to back.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would return it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh...

I already returned the first one because it had chips. Now this one is fully set up with egg crate, sand, a bunch of rock, and has been cycling for a couple weeks. Plus I think it's probably been 30 days or close to it and I can't find the receipt.

If anything, I'll probably just pull the trigger on the 75 I was going to buy when I move in a few months.

Man, I have such piss poor luck when it comes to buying anything. Everything I ever buy has some kind of issue.

I was hoping this was just a normal thing due to the tank not having a middle brace across the top.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Go with Aqueon. The middle brace is to support the glass...apparently the tank you got needed one but did not come with one.

I would still return it. Aqueon has a lifetime guarantee (which I have never needed). What is the warranty from Marineland?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes...with out a center brace this normal. Returning it will not accomplish anything.
We have 5 aqueon 40 gal. breeder tanks and they all bow when full. Center braces come into play as a tank becomes longer and or tall, glass thickness also increases.

·
Registered
767 Posts
DJRansome said:
Go with Aqueon. The middle brace is to support the glass...apparently the tank you got needed one but did not come with one.

I would still return it. Aqueon has a lifetime guarantee (which I have never needed). What is the warranty from Marineland?
Marineland and Aqueon 40 gal. breeder tanks do not have a center brace and both bow when full of water.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Huh. I have never had a desire for a 40 breeder, but my 38G does have a center brace. Maybe they use the brace for tall tanks?

How much is the bow? Measurable?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yep....it has to do with the load on the glass. 29 gal and 38 gal. tanks have the same base dimensions, 38 gal being taller gets a brace. A 29 gal. shows bowing of the front and back panel.

The bow on the front and back panel of a 40 gal. breeder is definitely measurable, about a 1/4 inch for each panel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.