Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used tank which I thought was a 40 gallon but turns out it is a 75 gallon. The problem now is I looked on my smaller tank and noticed the trim along the top is all connected on each corner. I looked on the new tank and noticed the trim at the top is not all one piece, there is a different piece of trim for each side. My concern is that if it is not all connnected is there a chance it could come apart or is this normal for a tank? I hope this is enough details to get an answer, if it isn't let me know and I will try and provide more information.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
You basically have a rimless tank if the top rim is not one entire connected piece.

You can order a replacement @ http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43. A 75 & 90 tank rim are interchangeable, assuming the OD is approx 48 X 18. FYI

I would measure the OD of the tank & confirm that it will fit prior to order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The measurements are 48" X 18". Is it safe to fill with water or not until I get that new rim on?
This is a picture of the tank, it does have trim on top but it does not all connect.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would look at the glass thickness,and check the silicone for scratched,cracked or missing,it maybe a terranium,or an old fish tank

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems to be a good bead of silicon in all edges. Is the silicon more important than that little piece of trim at the top? If thats the case then I think it might be okay.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you have a garage you could fill it up for a week in there to test it. I'm not an engineer or anything, but it seems like the silicon is more important to tank strength than the trim.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
glass thickness is actually more important,slow leak generally with silicone,and a total failure with thin glass
you are also missing cross bracing on the top and bottom,is this what you are referring to

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it is very heavy and the glass seems pretty thick.

Is there supposed to be a cross brace at the top?

·
Registered
625 Posts
My 75 has one, but I don't know if all have them. I am not sure what brand mine is to be more helpful, sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah this is starting to confuse me because looking around it seems some have these center supports and some don't. I'm thinking I might just add a center support just incase.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
most of todays tanks have cross bracing on the top and bottom,some old tanks didnt
my old 90 doesnt have cross bracing but the glass is just over 5/8 inch thick,it has plastic trim around the perimeter in one solid piece,so,
if I understand correctly ,your tank has perimeter trim bracing but not continous,and no cross bracing,if your glass thickness is less than 1/2 inch thick,I would say it is a terranium(for snakes and lizards)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The trim is not continuous along the top, but it is siliconed everywhere. The glass is at least 1/2 thick. If I add a brace in the middle should it by fine? I don't plant to fill it 100% of the way as it will be an open tank.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As long as you do it right it should be perfectly fine. :thumb: Good luck!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
bracing in the middle would kind of defeat the purpose of an open tank(aesthetically),well,all you can do is try,but try it outside for a week or so,without the cross brace(as is)

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 48" - 150 gallon is about 30" high (too lazy to go measure right now) it has 1/2" glass with no cross brace. Tank is about 5 years old and no problems so far. One method of checking might be to fill the tank 6" at a time till it's full.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I filled the tank and left it over night and so far so good!

PS its in the backyard incase something does happen.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
That is an older tank, custom built. Only the big manufacturers use one piece frames for trim. That tank was designed to work without a center brace and the trim is just on there to cover the glass edges and provide a lip for glass tops. All tanks had trim like that until the manufacturers went to thinner glass and center braces to save costs. There are still tanks built like that by smaller shops.
One thing to keep in mind when test filling a tank; make sure it is on a secure surface that is level and flat. If the tank isn't setup properly it can break even if there was nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the tank setup and partially filled. It is now in the living room on a flat surface and filled about 2/3 of the way. I posted some pics to show the edges and how they are put together. My only concern is if I can go any higher with this setup or should I maybe add a brace or replace the trim.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts