Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had Malawi cichlids but I wanted to try something new. I started a new 20 gallon long tank with my first Tanqanyika cichlids. I bought two Neolamprologus Brichardi's at a LFS. I thought they would like Omega flakes but there not interested in them. They eat them and then spit them out. There definitely hungry. I've read they like mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. I was told not to feel them glass worms. What do you feed yours?

How big are they when they start to breed?

·
Registered
642 Posts
My brichardi really love New Life Spectrum (NLS) small pellets. They also gorge on frozen brine shrimp. Not sure about when they start spawning. Mine haven't yet though they are showing signs of it. I've only had them for a couple weeks though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Before I made the switch to NLS, my N. Brichardis used to relish Omega flakes. They would splash me eating them off the surface. Maybe it's a new food for them and they aren't used to it yet? Often fish take a few days to "accept" a new food they aren't familiar with.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
95 Posts
Make sure you crush the flakes small enough to be swallowed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have converted my 50 gal reef with a refugium to a brichardi tank. My LFS trades with me, so he gave me a a mated pair and 30 or so babies (1/2" length). My plan is to use the overflow to catch fry and transfer them to refugium for rearing. I have had Malawi's before, but these are my first Tangi's. I will post some pics soon.
Anyone have good ideas on lighting?
I have metal halide that Im removing, and there is a 30" fluorescent with an actinic. Im thinking about just using the fluorescent with a daylight.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Daylight is fine (used them for years), but lately I prefer the effect of the 50/50's and have switch all the tanks over to them.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a couple of tanks full of Daffodils. They will eat Omega and many other foods despite their initial rejection of newly introduced foods. Keep in mind that Brichardis do not feed on the top or the bottom of the tank unless they are very hungry. I say this because Extreme X pellets are their very favorite food but sink a little too fast and some is lost in the gravel. It will help very young fry if you put Algae wafers (I use Hikari) or Shrimp Pellets for bottom feeders close to fry pits to assure they get enough to eat after hatching. I currently feed a wide variety of foods including Omega Cichlid as well as Nutrifin Max Spirulina and frozen brine shrimp. Don't worry that you are giving plant (algae) based foods to a species that is primarily carnivorous. I feed Nutrafin Max Spirulina at least every other day and all are healthy and thriving. This food (as well as other spirulina foods) often contain fish meal as a primary or secondary ingredient and are high in protein for good growth and provide natural color enhancement. Don't worry about initial rejection of a new food. My fish did'nt like Nutrafin at first but really like it now because it became a regular part of their feeding regimen. Fish are like any other pet. They may want what is not the best nutritionally but we, as responsible pet owners, should feed what is the best for them. Believe me, they will not starve and will be much healthier with your good judgement. I have an ad in the Tang fish for sale classifieds on this site if anyone is interested in enjoying the rewards of a successful colony. Good luck and have fun with your new family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.