Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the correct forum for this question...

Hello! I'm thinking of upgrading my 4' 90 gallon to a 6' tank (125g+) that would act somewhat like a room divider where it would project out lengthwise from a wall so that front/back/1 side is visible. I would like to delve into a sump to eliminate the typical mass of hoses and cords. I'm trying to figure out if there is consistency in the type of glass used for the bottom pane. I have been told by a fellow that all typical (standard) tanks have a tempered bottom and that if I want to go to a sump and drill out holes I have to go to a custom tank. As soon as I hear custom I start to worry as that word always tends to mean lots of money! ;)

I would like to get into a good condition used tank simply for finances. I take it there is no way to tell if the bottom is tempered or not? (without tapping it with a piece of ceramic!) Would it be feasible to (or realistic to) remove the bottom panel and replace it with non-tempered glass that can be drilled out?

What is the thickness of the bottom pane in a 125-180 gallon 6' tank so I could price out the piece of glass?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You don't really need a "custom tank" You can buy whats called "reef ready" which is already drilled with overflows installed, or have your local fish store verify with the manufacturer if they don't already know if the bottom is tempered. Not all tanks are made with tempered bottoms because tons of people drill them, and they don't all have custom tanks. It will be a lot cheaper and easier to start with the right tank before trying to replace any glass. Around where I live a new 125 is about the same price as a used one($300)

·
Registered
220 Posts
shellies215 said:
You don't really need a "custom tank" You can buy whats called "reef ready" which is already drilled with overflows installed, or have your local fish store verify with the manufacturer if they don't already know if the bottom is tempered. Not all tanks are made with tempered bottoms because tons of people drill them, and they don't all have custom tanks. It will be a lot cheaper and easier to start with the right tank before trying to replace any glass. Around where I live a new 125 is about the same price as a used one($300)
A reef-ready is about 425 where I live. It's drilled with 2 corner-flow overflows. They're pretty nice tanks.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
A standard All-Glass 6' tank that DID NOT have overflows installed when built has tempered bottoms. I would think that this is true for most manufacturers..

You could always drill the side panel & put in a glass-holes.com overflow. They are typically installed on the back glass but would install it on the non viewing end instead.

These are great because they don't take up a ton of space in the aquarium. The All Glass "megaflow" overflows are really large & take up a ton of space in the tank... Just an FYI.

http://www.glass-holes.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts