1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with so called "bottom draw overflows"
(See option #5 in the link below)
http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/a ... m-options/

Does this work? I've leaned toward canister filters over overflow/sump set ups purely because I don't care as much about skimming (freshwater), and I love how canisters get particles suspended in the mid to lower part of the tank quite effectively, allowing the sand to look much better between vacuuming. I really want to switch to a sump because of all of their advantages.

Anyone have a clue if they really are effective with getting particles suspended in the bottom third of the tank?
Presumably the tank won't empty in case of a power or pump failure, or if the pump can't "keep up"?
Waiting to hear back from the manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure I'll get a much more unbiased opinion here.

·
2,106 Posts
Yes, both my marineland tanks feature bottom draw overflows. Seems to work fine, but the draw is not as high as with a traditional intake of a canister, for example.

They will not drain the tank, as there is a false wall behind the opening, and the water travels up to the surface, before falling into the overflow chamber. I recall marineland or aqueon has a good document illustrating this.

I like having them, previously only had a HOB overflow which pulled from surface.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you really want a sump but also want to keep the bottom clean I would run a canister in addition to the sump. Get a small cheap canister filter and just use it for a little extra mechanical filtration plus all your chemical filtration (carbon or purigen). There is another advantage to doing this: if you ever have to treat the tank for illness you can just shutoff the canister filter instead of having to remove the carbon from your sump. Just my opinion. If you have a full height internal overflow box in your tank I would drill a hole in the bottom third of the overflow wall and install a bulkhead w/strainer and then run the canister off that. It'll work a lot better for cleaning the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.