Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
color up? I have one that is about 3.5" long that I picked out when it was much smaller because I thought it was a male (slight points to the fins and it was the darkest and most aggressive fish in the group). There is a slight orange flush to the sides and some very faint blue traces on the face but the lighting and angle has to be just right to see it. The body has remained pretty dark compared to alot of the images of female borleyi I have seen. There is no lighter stripe in the dorsal yet and it is mostly black. The anal fin is orange but not the bright orange I have seen on juveniles. The dorsal and anal fins do have some what of a point (particularly the dorsal) which is what keeps me thinking it is still a male but I expected it to start to color up to some degree at this size. Any idea what size is typical for a male to color up of this morph...I have found very few photos of this variant but it seems it is pretty similar to the kadango variant.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I had one that was colored up before that and one that had not yet colored up at that stage. Is he intimidated by his tank mates?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he is pretty mild mannered right now but I sometimes see him chase one of the other fish. He seems to be ignored by most of the aulonocara and various haps in the tank. Guess I will give him a bit longer to color up before I trade him in.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
They are quite variable. My 8" guy is orangey and my 3" guy is quite red. Genetics play a role.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
papasmurf said:
he is pretty mild mannered right now but I sometimes see him chase one of the other fish. He seems to be ignored by most of the aulonocara and various haps in the tank. Guess I will give him a bit longer to color up before I trade him in.
I had a Flame tail peacock male go from just a fleck of blue on the cheek to full blown color in a few weeks - that was after being in the tank for over 6 months. I certainly wouldn't give up on a 3.5in male anytime soon.

It is all about how comfortable/dominant he feels in the tank.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Oh I agree. Try him in his own tank and see what his true colors are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts