Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some designsbynature.net background for my acrylic tank. Quote: "Our rigid foam backgrounds are made of very high density polyurethane industrial foam. "

I am actually going to use the background to make a overflow box because the tank I have does not have one, just holes.

The box does not have to be water tight but it would be nice to have that.

What would be my best options as far as bonding the background? I know silicone does not bond to acrylic very well. But it does bond the background foam material from what I read.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one knows?

if I get the weld on, which one should I get? will it work with porous polyurethane foam?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I am getting one from them and I plan on epoxying magnets to the background the cover the magnets in silicone or the epoxy,I haven't gotten the background yet but the plan should work and if all goes good I can do this with a half empty tank. I plan on posting pics of the install.

FWY mine is an acrylic tank.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have a background in my acrylic tank and the modules are attached with epoxy coated magnets. The magnets are 1" in diameter and have a pull force of 23 lbs, http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?cPath=1_11 . The magnets are mounted in the background and are coated with a thin layer of silicone. So far, they have held up great. The top of acrylic tank will stop the background from sliding up, so the amount of magnets you use will depend in the thickness of the background/size of the pieces.

Here are the DIY side modules in my tank. (Same tank, different light set-ups)

The one of the left projects roughly 12" from the side of the aquarium, stands the entire height of the aquarium, 24" and has a length that varies from 6" - 18". The one on the right is about 9" x 24" x 18".
So to give you an idea, I have three magnets per each module and they hold it fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
please post pictures once you get it set up. I had never heard of this site and not I am in love. I want the river stump background. I would buy it right now if it wasn't so pricey. Not complaining though they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanniGirl - what kind of epoxy do you use? My understanding is you have one magnet attached to the background and the other attached to the side of the tank.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lucid_eye said:
please post pictures once you get it set up. I had never heard of this site and not I am in love. I want the river stump background. I would buy it right now if it wasn't so pricey. Not complaining though they are worth every penny.
I will definitely post pictures. I got the background now they're very well made.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zcfish said:
DanniGirl - what kind of epoxy do you use? My understanding is you have one magnet attached to the background and the other attached to the side of the tank.
and does the epoxy bind to acrylic and foam well?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
zcfish said:
The magnets are already coated in epoxy. The magnets are siliconed within the background and there are stainless steel washers, (that are hidden within a black piece of plastic) outside the tank. So, I only use the actual magnets inside the tank and use the washers outside the tank. If I were to use two magnets on both sides of the acrylic, (with a pull force of 23 lbs+) the magnetism is too strong, and they would smash against the acrylic. So that's why I opted for magnets within the background and a washers outside the tank.

Hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
zcfish said:
zcfish said:
and does the epoxy bind to acrylic and foam well?
The epoxy coating can (and has) come off of the magnets, so that's why I smear a thin layer silicone (GE 1) over the magnets once they're flush with the background. The silicone does a great job adhering to the magnets to the styrofoam and overall, the modules have held up well and if need be, can easily be removed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts