Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hi im new on the forum. Please excuse this very long post but its an issue thats been bugging me for months.

I've got 4 bolivian rams in a 40g tank all of which are progressing great. 2 seem to be tolerable of each other not quite sure if they are a pair as they swim together sometimes but then always end up separating. They all seem to tolerate each other with light bickering when one swims near their area but otherwise no great aggression or bullying happening. They have all developed really well with great colours coming out and individual personalities which are fun to watch.

The only problem i have is determining the sex of them. I started of with 2 of which i was sure one was male and the other female but they always fought each other and as they matured week by week i was less sure they were of opposite sex. I got another 2 to see if i could form a pair. If anything im even more unsure on their sexes. I look at them one time thinking one or two of them are definite females then when I look again I think all 4 of them are males. No matter how many photos I look at I just end up in square one again. I'm so lost as i've noticed so many people are on this issue. I've asked two local shops if they can identify the differences and they are just as unsure as the next. Also looked at others posts on here and other websites but with no luck.

I've tried taking pictures to post to see if any can be identified by anyone. However I have very camera shy rams apart from one. I have a couple I shall try to post in a minute that show at least 2 of the rams. If anyone could help to relieve my stress on sexing them I could quite physically kiss you (well not really :p)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They're not the best of pictures as the fish wouldnt allow me to take a photo with a camera so had to use my phone quickly but hopefully they are enough for someone to attempt at sexing :) i got a photo of 3 of them the 4th was having none of it

ram no.1

ram no. 2

ram no.3

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but I think #2 is a male and the other 2 are females. If you look at the dorsal and anal fins, #2 is pointed while the other two look rounded. I've also noticed that males have points on their tails as well (as does your #2), while females have a flatter tail. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#2 is the one im most unsure on, i look at it one time and definitely decide male another time it looks more female, plus its the largest of all 4. Don't females tend to be larger??? The 4th ram is definitely male its tail has a very distinct point compared to the other 3 and is slightly smaller. It also tends to swim closely with ram #2 quite a bit of the time (hence my thoughts it may be female) but from people *** spoken to im so unsure :?

·
Registered
912 Posts
#1 has a female breeding tube down, #2 has a male tube down. It's a bit harder to see on #3.

G

·
I agree with chromedome for the 3rd I would lean toward female it would be better if there was a good close up pic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i wish they let me take a decent picture ... but the first sign of a camera they hide so had to use my phone and after an hour trying they were the best that i could get

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update on my ram situation, in an attempt to see if two of them have formed a pair or not (which i suspect they may have at times) I went to the store and just bought a red veined rock, rams seem to like dark brown/red rocks to spawn on and some sand substrate to replicate a breeding area somewhere in the tank. Hopefully this may help me establish some boundaries with them and to see if i can identify the sexing properly :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So this is an update im most excited about.

The two rams had certainly paired and have spent days inseparable. So tonight i go to work not even thinking anything (apart from my new addition of a 25gl tank lol)

Well i get in to eat some dinner but quickly check the tank and was looking for my two rams as they weren't on top of the red rock like normal. However i find them close by a white/black granite rock that is part of a circle crop around my red rock surrounded by plants.

Anyway to the point they have spawned on the granite rock and guarding it like theres no tomorrow. I never even expected it and im gutted i missed the spawning :(

I have a pic i took on my phone which i will upload soon

Actually excited about this one (even though im aware first spawnings can have high failure)

But still my rams have finally spawned after 3 months of my trying to form a breeding pair :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Those pics show the area they have chosen as well as them guarding with their lives lol.

First observation is their colours have intensified particularly the black markings. They look amazing right now :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts