Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

*** just been reading http://www.brc.moonfruit.com/ and I am keen to get some bolivian rams. I am in the process of upgrading my current 60l tank with a breeding pair of dwarf cockatoo cichlids (anyone want some young dwarf cichlids?) and some various tetras into a 180l planted tank.

How many bolivian rams can I put in my 180l tank along with my other dwarf cichlids?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

My Bolivian rams are in a 4 ft 55G tank, and I think there are about 12 of them...Only 3 are full adult size, two females and one male, but I suspect I will have to remove some once the younger ones start to sexually mature. Some of them are getting close now, starting to show nice colours and get a little bossy...I think I'll probably eventually have about 3 pairs in this set up. Maybe 4...Right now, the one adult male breeds with both females on opposite sides of the tank.

I used to have them with Apistos, and they all got along fine. The key is providing seperate areas for both species. Break up the lines of sight with driftwood and plants, and provide a cave for the Apistos. My rams usually breed on a flat rock, but I have seen them spawn on a piece of driftwood.

I've also got quite the assortment of "non cichlids" in the tank...Scissortail rasboras, Buenos aries tetras, cories and rose barbs. It's the most interesting tank I have to watch!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dimensions are L92cm H55cm W41cm.

How many do you think I can keep in it? Is it best to buy a group and then sell some as they get older and pair off? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You plan on keeping the apisto pair, as well, right?

If so, I would shoot for 2 pairs of Bolivians...Start out with 6-7 of them and let them pair off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts