Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pair of rams from my group of 6 spawned for the first time last night! The eggs were laid on driftwood and so far all look good. The proud mama is protecting them. I'm very excited because my mbuna never hold to term and I just love my rams, even though I don't expect them to be successful on the first spawn. The thing is, I was planning to clean the tank tomorrow and then I saw the eggs today- should I wait a couple of days? The tank is pretty small (a 20 long) and stocked fully, since I was planning to move them to a 33 long in the next few weeks. I don't want to stress them out but I also don't want the tank to be overly dirty.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congratulations on the spawn. I would vac and do water change as normal. Just try to keep your siphon hose/vac away from the mother and eggs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All my babies have disappeared :( . Mama is still protecting the spot where they were but as of this afternoon I didn't see any. Most of the eggs did hatch and the parents were pretty attentive for first timers. Hopefully they will spawn again and I'll be able to get some survivors.

Is there any chance of there being babies hidden in the plants? I think I might leave the parents in the 20 long by themselves and move everyone else to the 33 long. I may have another female in my group so hopefully I will get an additional pair.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They could have moved the wigglers to protect them. Sounds like a great idea to leave the pair in the 20 and see if they will raise up a family. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.