Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a small planted tank (20g long). I am selecting all south american plants, as well as fish. The tank will only be a few smaller pleco varieties, but I wanted to add something to the upper water column. I was hoping for 1 or 2 bolivian rams.

However, I was planning on doing an open-top tank where the plants are able to grow up and out of the tank in some cases. I doubt very much the pleco are jumpers, but what about the rams?

·
Registered
9 Posts
*** got 4 bolivian rams and they are mainly bottom to middle dwellers and top for feeding times. I've never seen them attempt to jump nor heard of anyone saying they ever do so i would have thought this would be ok

G

·
I have four bolivian rams in an open-top tank and they have never jumped out. Like bolram said they're bottom to middle dwellers.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My 3 bolivians RARELY go to the top of my water column unless they're feeding (mind you my 37 gallon is 23" tall, but nonetheless they're mostly bottom dwellers as already stated :thumb:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
How many plecos are you looking to put in the 20 long? and which species? You definately don't want to mix wood eating panaques with meat eating hypans, or even more omnivorous pekoltias.

Plecos produce a lot of waste, and many species prefer a high current. In a small tank, I would not look to add any cichlids at all. You will need a lot of filtration even with only 4 or so adult (small species) plecos in there and look to be doing 2 or more water changes per week.

Just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts