Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a pair of Bolivian rams. Will they do well with some goast shrimp? If there going to eat them I don't want to wast money. I also am getting a dwarf pleco. All would be kept in a 20 tall with a starter filter that came with the tank. So shrimp or no shrimp??

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Most likely they will eat the shrimp and if they don't eat the shrimp, they will die because ghost shrimp aren't really a hardy shrimp. If you are looking at getting some shrimp look at Amano Shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
IMO 2 dwarf pleco's would be to much. You could do the Ram's, 1 dwarf pleco, and a school of 8 tetra's. ;)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
otos might be a better choice in a 20 gallon tbh...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys all very help full. I'll wait on the tetras tho I'm trying to get a mating pair so the less swimming around the better. Plus I'm new to aquariums. I want to go slow. And I have my heart set on Bolivian rams. Something about them make me get so excited. Like I said I'm new so I'm not sure what otos are.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
otos = otocinclus = dwarf suckermouth catfish. They're like little BNs. Except the stay small (2 inches or so). They're great algae eaters. I suggest getting 4-5 as they like company.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes you can, they need numbers to feel safe and I have yet to see them remotely come close to any spawning sites in my tanks.

I did forget about em, they are a MUCH better choice for a 20H.
The rams WILL stay at the bottom though, dont expect to see them at the top much like you do with german blues and the like.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I was conting for them being at the bottom I have like 4 small risk caves biltong in my tank for the 2 rams to chill in.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Z90a, in my signature you can see I have 3 Otocinclus Catfish in my 20g LONG. They are awesome eater's and they don't eat egg's, wiggler's, or even the fry!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya but don't they like caves aso in order to hide. I have 4 caves right now made from stacked rocks. There each about 2 inches high and 2 inches wide and go like 2 inches back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And I need a light that is some what low lighting but Is good for plants. I'm worried my bulb is to bright. And I know Bolivian rams and otos prefer lower light as do my plants.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
my otos mostly hang on the leaves of my cryptocoryne, or on the glass. If you have a normal fluorescent bulb and you think it's too bright, just cut strips of aluminum foil and tape them over the glass on the canopy where the light fixture sits, and it should block out enough of the light that the tank becomes "low light". Or just get a crazy, suffocating amount of water sprite and let them block out the light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts